21 - Pasts

DISCLAIMER: I do NOT own any of the characters, All rights goes to Voltage Inc. They make Otome games which inspired me to write this. Of course I do own 2 characters here ^_^ which is Clarisse and Rei and Jeffrey

-Dres Van's Ship-

*Joshua's POV*

I looked through the telescope and sighed, No signs of any other ship. I'm at the Crow's nest, it was morning. I went down the deck and greeted the crew as i walked by, the ship was unusually gloomy today. I entered the navigation room and examined the map, then the door opened behind me

"Good Morning, your Highness." Jan closed the door and spoke.

"Oh, it's you..." I said as I keep my eyes on the map. I thought it was Claire. She's been... weird lately, something seems to be on her mind.

"Were you expecting someone else, sir?" Jan spoke out with a curt smile.

"Not really." i lied.

"Is that so?"

"Do you need something?" I asked.

"Everything is going as His Highness ordered, we are currently heading south as fart as possible." He said as I sighed.

"Jan, stop calling me 'Highness' or 'Sir'." I ordered with a bored look on my face.

A chuckle escaped from Jan, I looked up at him in confusion as he quickly regain his composure.

"What's so funny?" I asked.

"No, nevermind." He laughed.

"What?" I asked and glared.

"It's just that, Miss Rei also told me the same thing." He smiled.

"What a coincidence." I smiled as I remembered her. Well, she's definitely the type to say that.

"Jan, how long have we known each other?" I asked as I thought.

"I was assigned as your butler when you were 6." He replied

"So it's been 18 years?" i asked, shocked.

"Yes." he replied bluntly.

"I Didn't realize it. You've been a great help to me all these years. Thanks." I thanked him and resumed studying the map.

Then, Jan's face turned into complete and utter shock.

"Why do you look so surprised?" i looked up at him, confused.

"Ah.. No, it's just, this is the first time i heard you thank me." he said as he shrugged.

"No way! You must have forgotten" I never thanked him?! well... I don't really remember thanking him at all. This must be Rei's influence on me... or maybe Claire's.

"I would have remembered if you did." Jan laughed, breaking me out of my thoughts.

Just then, The door opened and Claire walked in with her usual smile. Jan looked at her and for a minute I think i saw him glare at her. Hmmm.... it's probably my imagination.
Jan excused himself and left the two of us.

"Morning" i greeted her.

"Good morning too." She said quietly.

This is weird. She's never this quiet.

*Clarisse' POV*

I greeted Prince Joshua while thinking about what Jan said. Should I really distance myself from him? Am I wrong for loving someone?

"Claire, is something wrong?" His Highness asked with a worried look.

"I- uh, No?" I mentally slapped myself, what the heck am i saying...

"What is it?"

Okay, Clarisse, think of something to say!!

"I- I wonder how my family is doing." Thank god my brain worked!

"Your family back in Yamato?" He asked curiously.

"Yes, My mother, father and sister." i smiled as I remembered them.

"Tell me more about them." he said as he put the map he was holding away.

"Well, my mother stays home to take care of the house, my father works everyday and me and my sister would work in a bar after school."

I replied sounding a bit lonely, i miss them so much...

"I wonder how my sister is doing without me. I wish she wouldn't go to work because it's dangerous for her."

"Yeah...Sounds like a good family." He said.

"Yeah... My sister was always my parents' favorite though. It's kinda sad when I think about it, my parents always gave her all they could but me... i have to work for it myself." I laughed though I don't feel happy at all.

"That must have been awful... Do you wanna go back to them soon?" His highness asked worriedly.

"I don't mind if i stay here longer because it's really fun in here and I don't think my family misses me." I replied emotionlessly.

"Of course they'd miss you... you were kidnapped by pirates and wasn't home for a year or so, they're probably worried about you." Prince Joshua commented

"I wonder... They've always thought I was troublesome, my sister is the only one who cares about me." i gave a sad smile.

"So... you've been neglected by your family?" He asked bluntly.

"In a word, Yes." I said as I stare into the wall which suddenly looked interesting.

"I know how that feels. My parents don't have time for me, but I understand, They have a country to raise and they always tell me to work really hard as a future king."

"Really?" i asked, i wanna know more about him.

"Yes, I started my Royal trainings when I was so young. That was probably the same time Jan became my butler, which was when I was 6 years old." he said but he doesn't seem sad, wow, he is so mature.

I never thought about how royal families are like.. I thought that kind of life was great but right now, it sounded a bit awful. It's almost like he didn't even have a childhood, I didn't think his life was like that at all.

I want to cheer him up.

"Hey... Did you ever try how to cook?" I smiled at him.

"Cook? Well, No." he said, huh,well he's a prince after all, he probably have dozens of chefs in his castle.

"Wanna try?" I grinned and he smiled at me and nodded.

We left the navigation room and head for the kitchen. As soon as we entered, I told the Ship's cook to let us use the kitchen for a while and he left.

I taught him how to cook pancakes first since it was easy.

"How do I even crack an egg?" he asked as he eyed the bowl of eggs.

"Like this." I showed him how and after that, he tried to do it too.

He failed multiple times but he got the hand of it. We both laughed as we messed up! I taught him step by step and soon enough, the pancakes were done!

We tried it and it's surprisingly delicious.

"It tastes great." He cheered.

I looked at him, I have never seen him made this kind of expression before, He looks so innocent like a kid as he ate it. he just looks so happy. I guess he really likes learning new things.