[38] sacrifice

SHUMPIE'S ALIVE! WHOOP WHOOP! HAPPY DAYS!

I don't know if you guys saw this, but VeahBates commented last chapter:

Relationship goals.

Love and hate. They displayed PDA (Public Display of Affection) and she punched him.

#goals.

LOL!!!

I freaked out yesterday because the WiFi did not work for a full 8 1/2 hours. 0_0

BUT I'M BACK AND BETTER THAN EVER!!!

-

-

-

- Max's POV -

-

Max drew back his bow, firing the arrow and lodging it in an enemy's arm. That guard was going to have a nasty burn later on.

While Max shot from a distance (missing more than he was sniping), Ross "protected" him by throwing out his whip, keeping enemies at bay.

Max looked around. There seemed to be no more guards. The rebel army continued advancing forward. He saw a small group emerge out of a corridor from the corner of his eye.

"SHELBY!" Ross cried out.

"Cory, what happened?" Max asked.

"Lizzie got stabbed," Cory answered, putting Shelby on the floor. "Shelby drained most of her energy healing her. She's hanging on by a thread, but she'll make it, according to Joel."

"Wait, Lizzie?" Ross asked, looking past Cory.

Lizzie raised her hand awkwardly. "Hello."

"We turned them back," Sky said.

"Good to have you back, Lizzie."

Okward appeared by Max's side, holding his spear.

Lizzie grinned. "You, too, Okward."

"Nathan told me the Head is in the Head Room, trying to save most of their technology. We're going to sabotage them," Okward explained. "Let's go up to the Head Room."

"Cool, meet you guys there," Cory said, running forward, picking up Shelby. Sky, Lizzie, and Joel followed him.

Okward ran after them.

Ross was about to follow, when he turned around and his eyes widened. "MAX! WATCH OUT!"

Max spun on his heel, just in time to see one last guard standing. The guard grinned, pulling back his bow and releasing an arrow. Straight at his chest.

Max didn't have anything to use as a shield. Ross was too far away to help. Those were the only thoughts Max could muster before the arrow was released.

The guard had taken less than a single second to fire the arrow after Max had turned around. The arrow cut through the air, faster than anything Max had ever seen.

And Max was the target.

They say your life flashes before your eyes when you're about to die. That didn't happen, though. Max heard his thoughts echo, I'm sorry.

Max didn't flinch or close his eyes.

And Max watched as the arrow missed him and hit the girl who had become an obstacle between him and his death. Willow fell with a thud!, her purple hair flowing like a landing at his feet.

Max dropped to the ground beside her. The whole world blurred, not counting the arrow that had struck her above the heart.

He barely heard Ross shout out a battle cry, knocking down the guard who had shot Willow down.

Max felt numb. Blood was on his hands, too much blood. Max couldn't see past the tears, but he knew that Willow was dying right in front of him. He let out a scream of agony. Ross appeared next to him, but Max hardly noticed because his friend was dying. A friend that had the courage of a hero.

She looked up at Max through an expression of pain. Her chocolate brown eyes were narrowed, yet astonishingly bright, life shining through them and giving Max hope. But the rest of her was unmoving, weak and splattered with red.

"Willow," Max whispered. "No..."

Her eyes focused on Max, and to his horror, they were gradually becoming duller. "Max..." she struggled to say. She coughed up blood.

Max took Willow's hand, pale and cold, and held it tight, replaying her sacrifice in his head over and over again.

"Do me a favor..." Willow whispered. "Avenge me... and my family... and take them down..."

Max blinked tears out of his eyes. "I promise."

"Good..." Willow's grip was becoming weaker. "Don't forget me..."

Her eyes fixed on something in the distance. Her hand went limp. She took a shuddering breath, and then Willow closed her eyes.

Willow Meilio. Brave and beautiful. A refugee who had no training in combat, yet still ran onto the battlefield for her friends. A girl who sacrificed her life to save another from death.

Max got up shakily. Ross put a hand on his shoulder. "She's gone."

Max breathed deeply. "I know..."

"Hey man," Ross said reassuringly. "We'll hold a funeral later. But she would've wanted us to move on."

Max wiped his eyes. "You're right."

They picked up their weapons and ran away. Out of the room that Willow Meilio had lost her life in.

»»--------¤--------««

Well then. What a way to end!

Thank you to _WillowWisp0412_ for creating Willow. This is the reason I made that "I'm Sorry" author's note the other day.

Did you cry during this chapter? No? Well, Willow's death was one out of many.

There's still more to come.

- Phoenix