[37] the power of love • pt. 2

(VERY IMPORTANT, PLEASE READ): I have 100 followers! Thank you guys so much! I'll do another Q&A to celebrate, so comment some questions you would like me to answer! (Look at the other Q&A. No repetitions, please.)

(Okay, you can skip this part, if you want.) Wowie! What a cliffhanger that last chapter was, eh? I wrote this two days early so I could post it ASAP. (Trust me, writing cliffhangers are as bad as reading cliffhangers. I wanted to post this chapter 28 hours ago.)

Also, check out the previous chapter. I posted a message dedicated to all victims of bullying, depression, and/or abuse. 

HAHA YOU GUYS THINK SHELBY'S DEAD?! (We'll see...)

Well, now that it's here, enjoy the chapter!

-

-

-

- Cory's POV -

-

Cory screamed and tore himself from Sky's grip. He rushed over to Shelby, who was lying motionless on the floor.

Lizzie's wound had vanished, the skin looking as if it hadn't been . Her chest began to rise and fall evenly. Lizzie's eyes fluttered open. She was alive. Joel cried out in joy and wrapped his arms around his bewildered girlfriend.

Shelby's eyes were closed, her skin deathly pale. 

"SHELBY!" Cory screamed. He ran over to her body. His throat was burning, and tears were threatening to spill from his eyes. Cory hadn't felt pain like this ever since his parents died in the fire. "You can't die," Cory muttered. "You always seemed so invincible... You can't die on me now -- not now -- not when we just fixed everything else. SHELBY!"

"Cory!" Sky shoved him. "Calm down!"

"Calm down? CALM DOWN? HOW CAN I BE CALM? HOW CAN I BE CALM WHEN SHELBY JUST-- JUST--"

"Cory!" Sky said sharply. "Shelby would've wanted you to move on."

Cory felt his heart sink to his boots. "We... we can't just leave her..."

"And we won't," Sky promised.

"Sky, Cory, wait," Joel said. He went over to Shelby, putting two fingers to her neck. "If there's one thing I learned on the battlefield, it's to always check if they're dead before making assumptions."

Cory blinked tears from his eyes. "Well?"

Joel turned to Cory and Sky. His face split into a grin. "She's alive, but just barely. But I think she'll make it through."

Cory felt like Christmas had come early (not that he celebrated, or anything). "She will? Oh, thank the Lord. But how?" Cory asked, relief seeping into every inch of his body.

Sky, who looked just as relieved, looked over at Lizzie. "Love. Joel and Lizzie's love for each other was so strong that Shelby was able to draw enough energy from it to heal Lizzie."

Joel and Lizzie looked over at the sleeping form of Shelby. Joel spoke up. "I can't thank her enough. She saved my girlfriend's life."

Lizzie smiled and kissed Joel on the cheek. She turned to Sky and Cory. "I... I'm sorry for everything that I did. I... I thought Joel was dead. I was weak, and I was grieving. It was the perfect chance for them. After Aphmau jumped me, it was like my view on the world had changed completely. Flipped upside-down. I'm really sorry. Can you ever forgive me?"

Cory grinned. "Of course."

"But on one condition," Sky added.

Lizzie nodded. "Anything."

"Promise us you'll help kick the Evil's butt," Sky said.

Lizzie grinned. "Oh, I'll do that without persuasion. They manipulated and used me. They kidnapped Joel. They'll pay."

Joel kissed her forehead. "But this time, we'll do it together."

Lizzie smiled up at him. "Until the end."

Then she punched Joel in the chest. "This time, you are not dying on me."

Cory smiled at the relationship they had. (OBVIOUSLY hoping for a similar one with Shelby. Oops, I wasn't supposed to say that. Hey, editor! Can we cut that out? Thanks--)

"Come on," Sky said gently.

"Wait," Cory said. He knelt down and scooped Shelby up bridal-style. He walked over to Lizzie. "Is there anywhere I can put her so she's safe?"

Lizzie frowned. "I don't think so. You'll have to take her with you."

"Don't worry, we'll form an 'emperor's guard' around you, so she'll be safe," Joel said reassuringly.

"I got back," Sky said. "Lizzie and Joel split sides. Time to go meet up and confront the Head."

»»--------¤--------««

Ah, there's that happy ending everyone was craving! Once again, sorry for the short chapter, I just want everybody to be SATISFIED this time, with the short, bittersweet ending.

But this isn't the last chapter of the book. It's too happy. There's still more to come...

Shelby's alive? What? That's amazing! Wow! Well, let's see what other troubles the Evil has brewing for our heroes next time on Dragon Ball Z-- oh wait. Wrong series.

Awkward...

And with that I close off.

 - Phoenix