32 - Search

Chapter 32

My hand clamped over my mouth as it almost made way to China.

"He said.. said he didn't know what he wanted anymore." Katie choked on her tears. "He just left, leaving me a pathetic little note."

She handed me a folded piece of paper that obviously had been crumpled and ripped. Toby's delicate handwriting left me flabbergasted, he was never this spontaneous.

Katie,

I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me, I'm sorry if you don't find me anymore. I need to be in peace with myself and to do that I need to leave. Soon you'll know, everyone will. Just please know that I have and always loved you.

Toby.

I placed the note to the side as I wrapped my arms around Katie. This was so unlike Toby to do this to her, after all they went through. "He didn't say why? Had he been acting weird lately."

She shook her had no raising her eyes at me. "There's something you didn't know. The company where we worked, had a malfunction and right now we're laid off. It's an investigation that's been taking a toll on us. We barely have enough to even eat, we barely pay where we're living in. Toby's taking it the worst, and I don't know... I guess he just left because he had to look after only himself."

"But that's incredulous! Toby'd first poke his eyes out before harming someone's feelings." I said, she nodded.

"That's why I'm so confused, but that's the only reason I can explain his behavior."

"But how have you guys managed? I mean there must be away, you look okay, and.."

"Toby's parents managed to give him a loan and sold his apartment he had in Long Beach for him. The thing that I'm wondering about is where did he get the money from? I haven't seen any transactions from his parents account. I've seen deposits that Toby has made personally." She said through cries, I patted her back.

"Maybe I don't know, they didn't do it via account. There must be something that explains absolutely everything that happening with that boy."

And I was going to do everything in my power to find out what was happening.

***

"Unbelievable."

That's all Derek said, I poured him a cup of coffee as I sat next to him.

"Something's going on with Toby, and I need to find out, even if it kills me. He's my best friend."

My hand raked through my dark hair as I rested my elbows on the shiny marble countertop. I felt Derek's hand on mine and he held it tightly. "Don't worry love, everything will be okay."

It was early morning and Katie and the kids were still asleep but Derek and I were wide awake. Or so I thought Katie was asleep when I saw her come into the kitchen.

"I'm going to Long Beach, I'm going to Toby's parents, to at least let them know whats going on. And to thank them for everything, I really owe it to them. Don't wait up for me."

I waved as she left, she called a cab and soon she left for Long Beach. I couldn't imagine the loss of a child for Toby's mom. It wasn't something even I couldn't perceive. If something happened to Mia or Ryan.. I just couldn't even think about it.

"I'm going to see Logan. Wanna come?" I asked Derek, I craned my head to the side just breathing slowly.

"Sure, might as well hand over the hand of my fair lady." He joked.