The Truth

Justin: 35
Christie: 34
Drew: 16
(Drew's pov)
"Dammit," I sigh playfully when Andre beats me at Rock Paper Scissors. We played to see who gets the last cookie on the plate. Mom says that's how we should ALWAYS handle things. It actually works out pretty well, despite if I lose. I do get worked up sometimes, but not over a cookie.
"Yummy," Andre purposely moans while eating the last cookie.
"Don't worry babe. I'm sure your mom will make more," Rachel pats my back as she giggles.
"Yeah," I smile and lightly kiss her lips, sending Andre a boastful smirk.
"Cookies are better than girlfriends," Andre teases before shoving the rest of the cookie in his mouth.
"Not in my world," I peck Rachel on the lips one more time.
"Is everything alright in here?" Mom walks into the living room with Baby trotting behind her.
"Mom can you make more cookies?" I ask in a whiney voice, making Rachel crack up.
"Sure honey," Mom smiles warmly at me.
"Andre took the last one," Rachel states, taking my side to make me look like the innocent one.
"Make a batch just for me!" I joke around like a little kid.
"You'll get sick Drew," Mom shakes her head at my childish behavior.
"I don't care," I fake pout with my arms crossed.
"Don't be silly," Mom smiles before taking the empty plate to the kitchen.
"Well, we better get going bro," Andre stands up from his seat on the couch.
"Already?" I feel Rachel stand up as well.
"Yeah, my parents want me home before 8. It's a school night," she stops in front of me and smiles sympathetically.
"See you tomorrow," Andre pulls me up for a hug, so that's what he gets.
"Ok. See you later dude," I walk him up to the front door with Rachel. Then he walks out, leaving me and Rachel alone.
"Why do you have to leave baby?" I hold her waist so I can pull her in.
"It's the rules," she smiles softly while wrapping her arms around my neck.
"Ugh, ok," I sigh against her glossy lips.
"I love you," Rachel kisses me before I can make the initiative.
"I love you too," I mumble in the kiss and hold her tighter. My fingers are crossed that my parents don't walk in on us.
"Seriously, I've got to go," she breaks the kiss and removes her hands from me.
"But—" "Drew, are you busy right now?" Dad walks into the hallway.
"No, he's not. I'm just about to leave," Rachel opens the front door while smiling at me.
"Ok, stay safe," I smile back, longing for the next time I get to see her. Then she shuts the door. She's gone. I can't wait to see her again.
"So what's on your mind dad?" I look at my dad in curiosity.
"I want to talk to you about when I was younger," he leads me back into the living room.
"You mean how you and mom met?" I sit in front of him so we can talk face to face.
"I'll tell you about that too. Your mom and I met on a sidewalk actually. It's kind of weird, because I wasn't the best person at the time," dad answers part of my question. Then he pauses and says, "I was a criminal. Your uncles Za, Khalil, and Ryan were too. We were all part of a gang. It sounds cool, but in reality it ruined a lot of our lives. We had to deal with cops, violence, murder, threats, all kinds of shit. We got into so much trouble. I'm telling you this Drew, because I feel like you should know. You should be aware of these things so you can learn from my mistakes," dad continues explaining as I sit and listen. Rachel isn't on my mind anymore. I'm interested in this story. Damn, I never would've thought my uncles were apart of a gang.
"What kind of mistakes did you make?" I don't ask the most reasonable questions, but I was too engulfed in the story to think it through.
"Well, I did drugs. That's probably the toughest one to overcome. I fought with people and committed a lot of crimes, like robbery. Not to mention, my hormones were everywhere," he adds a small joke at the end of his statement, which makes us both chuckle a little.
"Because of all the terrible things I did, it brought a negative effect on my life. Just one mistake can mess up everything. It can make it difficult to get a job, make people scared of you, and you'll regret it. The regret will follow you forever. I'm thankful to have your mom with me. She's put up with so much bullshit," dad narrows his eyes, which are very similar to mine. He always acts differently whenever he talks about anything related to mom.
"Like what?" I've always wondered why he gets this way about mom.
"Like...Her parents were abusive, and people bullied her at school. That caused her to feel alone. A lot of negative feelings were going through her head. She took everything out on herself, which is why there are scars on her. She's just a sensitive woman. That's why I always tell you to be careful not to hurt her feelings. You can piss anyone else off. Just not your mother. Also, don't mention any of this to her. It's not her favorite subject. Understood?" Dad speaks in a softer tone, like it's a unspoken topic. Wow. That's pretty heartbreaking. I never would've thought mom had it so rough. There's so many things I wish I could take back now that I know this. I've been a brat from time to time with her.
"Yessir," I give my father a respected nod.
"Your mother and I have been through so much. I wasn't always the best version of myself around her. There have been times when I put myself before her. I put drugs and money first. That was the terrible thing to do. And I'm hoping you won't even think about those things. You have the choice, Drew. I can't stop you from doing drugs, or going against the rules. But at least I can warn you," Dad puts his hand on mine, an act of kindness.
"I won't let you down dad," I look him in the eyes and speak honestly.
"Sorry if this is all too much. Maybe I should've told you at different times," he forms a soft smile.
"No no, it's fine. I can handle it," I assure him with a gentle tone of voice.
"Did your friends leave already? I made more cookies," Mom enters the room again with a plate of fresh cookies.
"Yeah...But I'll take the cookies," I force myself to forget the whole conversation.
"Me too babe," Dad stands up and puts his arm around her.
"Well here you go," mom puts the plate on the table, and we each grab one.

It's going to take a while to let this all sink in, but I'm happy to have learned something from my family's history.

(A/N: Here's the post I promised. Hopefully it's not too late. Next post is on Monday/Tuesday)

🌟 Vote ☀️