A very Important Question

Owen

I was actually quite proud of myself right now… I managed to get all our belongings moved to the cabin in a couple days. Ok so I did get some help from some guys at work and Matt but we got it done and that’s all that mattered.

Katie has been on bed rest for two days now and it was already killing her. She gets stir crazy real easy and it was quite humorous at times. Cassandra has been at the cabin helping Katie with the last minute preparations for the wedding on Saturday.

 I think they have pretty much got the whole thing figured out. My only job in the wedding planning is to make sure I show up on time. Which shouldn’t be hard to do since I would already be there before the ceremony even started.

I decided to take the next couple weeks off from work so that I could make sure Katie didn’t overdo it. The goal was to keep her stress level to a minimum so that Alex won’t try to make another early appearance.

I grabbed the last box from my truck and started to head in the house when I heard someone coming up the drive. My dad was supposed to be stopping by today so that was probably who it was. Katie asked him to come over for dinner tonight. Of course I was going to be the one cooking dinner although Katie suggested just to get take out.

To be honest I am so sick of take out right now and would be more than happy to cook if it meant we got to eat real food for a change. So I was grilling out tonight. I could actually smell the steaks on the grill right now, which reminded me I had better check on them.

Dad slowly made it up the drive and parked next to my truck. I wish he would just give in and buy himself a new truck. The one he has looks like it was from the Stone Age. But he refused, said there wasn’t anything wrong with his old dinosaur so why waste the money.

“Hey dad. How are you feeling today?”

“About the same,” he replied.

“How was mom doing this afternoon?”

“She is using her right arm better and they think she might be able to start trying to walk again soon.”

“That’s great news… I bet she is excited about that.”

“So where’s that woman of yours?” He asked.

“She better be inside resting. Although knowing her she is probably in the kitchen trying to help with dinner.”

He headed inside. I grabbed the steaks off the grill and followed him in. Of course Katie was not where she was supposed to be… instead she was in the dining room setting the table. She walked out of the kitchen with a stack of plates.

“Busted,” she said and giggled.

“Give me those and you go sit down right now young lady,” dad said as he took the plates from her hands.

Katie groaned but complied with his command. She knew better than to disobey him. I helped her prop her feet up on the couch with a couple pillows. Her feet have been swelling up lately, most likely because she did not listen to what she was told to do.

We ate dinner in silence as we watched the TV. I could tell Katie was getting antsy again because she kept fidgeting with her TV tray. She told me earlier she had something she wanted to talk to dad about but wouldn’t say what that was.

“Mr. Matthews, I have something very important I want to ask you,” She started.

“Ok,” he replied.

“I know you are aware how distant I am from my parent’s. Well you have been the only father I have really ever known. I wanted to know if you would walk me down the aisle on Saturday.” She smiled sweetly as a tear fell down her face.

“Katie you don’t even have to ask, I would be honored to do that for you.”

We sat and talked for a few more minutes until dad had to head back home. Katie was so happy it was like she was in her own little world. After dad left I cleaned up the dishes then sat down on the couch with Katie. I moved her pillows and put her feet on my legs.

“I didn’t know you wanted my dad to walk you.”

“Well originally Abby was going to, but now that is not possible so I went with the next best thing.”

“Well you just made his day you know that right?”

“More like he just made my day,” she smiled.

“Well I think it is time to get you to bed, you have a long day tomorrow,” I reminded her.

“Yes I do. I have to finish the last minute details for the wedding, which is the day after tomorrow.” She squealed. She reminded me of a child the night before Christmas.

I helped her off the couch and walked her to the bed. Once she was settled in I climbed in bed next to her. I pulled her close and whispered, “I love you.”