Got to Get Out

Katie

It was about a week before Christmas now. About six inches of snow was on the ground, the trees were coated in the beautiful white blanket. Owen wouldn’t let me leave the house without someone with me in these conditions. He was afraid I would slip and fall because I was such a klutz. I really want to go shopping. I need new clothes because I’m so tired of wearing sweat pants. All my cute clothes were getting too tight for my growing belly.

I had finally come to terms with Abby’s death, although I still teared up on occasion when I remembered some of the fun times we had. Ugh, I have to get out of this house.

“Hey babe are you ok?” Owen asked.

“No I’m not. I want to get out of this house.”

“Are you hurting?” He asked.

“No I want to go shopping.”

“Well let me call Mom and see if she will go with you.”

“Owen, I’m pregnant not handicapped, I can go shopping by myself,” I demanded.

“Well make sure you have your phone and watch out for slick spots, I don’t need you back here in the ER again.”

“I will be just fine.”

“Call me when you get back home, I love you.”

“I love you too Owen.”

Man he was way overprotected. I may be a klutz at times, but I could manage to actually go shopping by myself. I think I should just go downtown for today and maybe this weekend we could take a trip to the mall to get some Christmas shopping done as well.

The streets seemed to be cleared off well enough to drive downtown. I will be so glad when winter is over. I like snow from the indoor perspective but not getting out in the cold weather. I think I need a new coat also this one was getting a little snug. I don’t think I needed maternity clothes yet I’m not that big.

 Crap I think I just ran a red light, I guess I had better pay attention to the road before I end up proving Owen right that I am not capable of going out alone.

Wow I about froze my butt off just walking from the car to the store and that was only about twenty feet. I wonder how cold it was out here. I could hear Destiny’s boutique calling my name. I haven’t been here in ages. I can’t remember the last time I actually had time to go and shop for a new wardrobe.

“Katie is that you. Oh my goodness I haven’t seen you since high school”

“Cassandra? Wow you haven’t changed a bit.”

“Oh stop you are too kind like always.”

“How long have you been back in town?” I sorted through a stack of long-sleeved cotton shirts.

“I actually just moved back about a month ago. My husband and I are looking to building a new office here.”

“What does your husband do?”

“Insurance sales,” she replied as she hung some beautiful satin dresses on the rack behind me. “I heard you were in an awful accident a few months ago.”

“Yeah I was hit and left for dead, Owen nursed me back to health and now we are engaged and expecting,” I smiled.

“I knew you two would end up together one day, it was only a matter of time before your stubborn ass realized it,” she laughed as she handed me a dark purple cable knit sweater dress.

“This is beautiful,” I gleamed.

“It will look perfect on you and will even give that baby bump room to grow.”

Cassie helped me pick out several more practical yet very stylish outfits. It felt like old times when we used to go to the mall just to try on clothes and talk about boys.

“You know what you should come to dinner sometime this week, I’m sure Owen would be ok with it, since of course he will be the cook,” I laughed.

“I’m sure Matt would be up for that, I will call you and let you know,” she replied smiling as I handed her a piece of paper with my cell number on it.

“Call me anytime, I would love to catch up more with you now, but if I don’t get home before dark Owen will send a search party out for me,” I laughed.

“I will definitely give you a call, and by the way that sweater dress looks amazing on you,” she smiled and waved as I walked out the door into the frigid air. I think I’ll grab some food on the way home because Owen should be almost done with his shift today. I don’t know why he thinks he needs to pick up extra shifts.

Ok big decision now, do I want chicken, pizza or tacos? Oooh what I really want is a big juicy steak, but that would involve cooking. I guess I will just settle for a greasy cheeseburger and fries smothered in melted cheese, with ranch dressing.

I got our food and some new clothes, and now it was time to go home I was exhausted. It was usually a short drive home on a clear summer night, although it was taking forever to maneuver the icy streets tonight. I bet he was home already just pacing the floor. Well I am almost there and I can see his truck parked in the drive. I pulled in next to him as he headed out to help me in.

“Hey Hun, How was shopping?” he kissed me lightly on the lips then proceeded to grab my bags and the food.

“You won’t believe who I ran into today…Cassandra works at Destiny’s,” I smiled.

“Oh really, when did she get back in town?”

“About a month ago, her husband is opening a new insurance office here in town.”

“I’m glad to hear she is doing well,” he replied.

“I invited them to come over for dinner sometime soon if that’s ok Chef?” I giggled.

“Oh I see how it is,” he said as he tried to tickle my side. Of course he hits the spot without fail and I squirmed letting out a shriek.

 I took a step back and lost my balance, he grabbed my arm and pulled me to him and laughed as he said, “You are such a klutz.”

He wrapped his strong arms around my waist and looked down at me with his sexy eyes. I squealed as he grabbed my ass and lifted me off the ground so that I sat on the kitchen counter. His hands moved to my waist and slide up the back of my t shirt as he leaned against the counter between my legs. He kissed me lightly then with more passion. I wrapped my arms around his neck as we continued to kiss. He pulled me closer so my chest was pressed against his and kissed me with even more hunger. His hands moved up my back and slid my shirt off then tossed it to the side. I leaned back as he trailed kisses down my neck and chest.

“What the heck,” I squealed.

“What’s wrong?” he looked at me worried.

“My ass is wet and cold,” I  laughed. When he threw my shirt on the counter it knocked over my drink. I hadn’t realized it until the cold sensation reached my butt. I looked up to see Owen laughing so hard he almost fell over.

“Oh I’m glad you think this is so funny,” I nudged him in the side with my foot causing him to lose his balance and fall to the floor.

I laughed as I said “Now that is funny.” He sat there and looked at me for a few minutes then gave me this evil grin.

“What are you thinking Mr. Mathews?”

“Wouldn’t you like to know,” he laughed as he jumped up off the floor. He grabbed me off the counter, threw me over his shoulder and headed to the bedroom.