I am Going to Kill Him

A/N --- another revised chapter :)

Owen

What was going on? Why was her wrist swollen? “Katie are you ok? Did you fall?”

“No I didn’t fall I hit the steering wheel out of anger,” she sobbed.

“Anger? What or who upset you?”

“I got an unexpected visitor tonight,” she huffed still fuming.

“Who would that be? I think you just sprained your wrist and I’ll just wrap it up for you.”

“Forget my wrist it will be ok. Kyle’s brother Toby came by the house and told me he was the reason that Kyle killed Abby,” she explained in between sobs. I tried to wipe the tears off her face but there was just too many to keep up with.

“What do you mean he’s the reason?”

“Abby found out that Toby was the reason I was lying in the hospital in September and she was going to call the cops. So Kyle freaked out and attacked her.”

“Where is Toby now, I’m going to kill him,” I clenched my jaw and fists.

“I had him arrested at the house before I could kill him myself.”

“Good. He should be locked up for a long time.”

“I’m sorry I bothered you at work, but I needed you and it couldn’t wait,” she said as she buried her face in my chest. I just held her while she cried. She had been through so much these past few months and I hated to see her hurt like this.

“You are the most important thing to me and you can come see me whenever you need to. If I get in trouble, oh well they will get over it. You will always come first to me no matter what. I love you so much.”

“I love you too forever and always.”

“Why don’t you go down to the cafeteria and get something to eat and I can take you home on my dinner break,” I suggested.

“Ok, I am a little hungry I guess.”

“I will see you in a little bit,” I said as I kissed her forehead.

I watched her walk down the hall towards the elevators. I had about an hour until dinner time. It was actually pretty slow today, which was not a good thing now with all that was going through my head at the moment.

 I wanted to make that guy suffer so badly for all the pain he had caused. I almost lost the love of my life because his careless lack of judgment. How could he be so inhumane and leave her lying in the road bleeding to death.

“We have twenty year old male coming in, apparent overdose,” Betty told me as I walked by.

“Ok put him in bed five,” I replied.

The medics came in pushing the gurney with a nonresponsive male followed by two uniformed officers. The medics explained that he must have downed several drugs before he was arrested. They said he was seizing at the jail and became nonresponsive en route.

“What is this kid’s name?” I asked the Officer.

“Toby Fields,” he replied.

I stopped dead in my tracks. Dr Thomas looked at me questioning why I was not doing my job.

“I need to be excused from this one doctor,” I said.

“No you need to do your job,” he argued.

“I will not help this man he is the one who left Katie in the street to die!” I yelled.

“It does not matter what he did, right now he is your patient and you need to do your job,” he said sternly.

“Doctor please I can’t do it,” I said then turned to leave the room.

“So you would rather let him die and get away with what he did?”

When he put it that way no, I wanted him to suffer and pay for his mistakes.

“No way I’m going to let him take the easy way out,” I said.

We got him stabilized and admitted upstairs. I apologized to Dr. Thomas for my behavior and he understood how I felt. He sent me home for the rest of the evening so I wouldn’t be tempted to go upstairs and strangle the guy.

 There was no way I could tell Katie what happened. She was in enough pain at the moment and she needed to go home and rest. I walked to the lounge where I sent Katie to rest. When I walked in the door she was asleep on the couch. I kneeled on the floor and brushed back the hair that had fallen across her face.

Her eyes were still red and puffy from crying. Her swollen wrist was propped against her body, wrapped neatly in an ace bandage. I didn’t want to wake her.

 As I watched her sleep I remember the night she was hit by the car, and now we knew it was Toby who drove the car. How dare he try to end his life to get out of paying for all his mistakes? Katie had been through too much pain for him to get off that easy.

I gently scooped her up and headed out of the lounge toward the exit. We could pick up her car tomorrow.

The chilly air bit at my face as I carried her to the truck. She stirred a little in my arms, man this woman could sleep through anything. I set her gently on the seat and she woke up enough for me to put her seatbelt on. I slid in the driver’s side and we headed home.