chapter 16

Back on Earth...

"Hey, Dad," Atticus came home. "Where's Mom?"

"Talking with Mr. Seville." Patrick replied as he washed the dishes for Emily in her absence.

"Well, Dad, I was hoping that, well, when Mom get back, maybe we could go and sign some adoption forms and adopt someone." Atticus said.

Patrick sighed seeing where this was going. "Okay, how old is he? And what's his name?" he then asked.

"He's twelve and his name is Casper." Atticus replied.

"That's funny," Patrick chuckled. "I knew a Casper when I was around your age."

"Then you might wanna prepare yourself for this, Dad." Atticus said.

"Just a moment, I have your mother's china." Patrick said before he was done scrubbing the one plate, then put it neatly in the pile and dried his hands. "Alright, what's up?'

The now human boy walked out with a smile. "Hi, I'm Cas--....Patrick Fudo?"

"Casper McFadden?!" Patrick asked in surprise.

"So, you two do know each other?" Atticus asked.

"I-I remember..." Casper whispered.

Atticus looked back.

"It's coming back to me..." Casper sounded familiar now.

Flashback, Years and Years Ago...

It was a snowy day and there was no school which meant that the kids could play all day today.

Patrick came up to the McFadden mansion and laughed as he knocked on the door and a woman opened the door. "Hi, Mrs. McFadden, can Casper come out and play?"

"Sure, just a moment," Angel smiled before calling out. "Casper, darling, you have a friend over!"

"Coming, Mom!" Casper called down.

"He'll be right over." Angel smiled.

Patrick smiled back.

Casper was in his winter coat, hat, boots, mittens, and pants as he held a sled over his head. "Let's go!"

"Casper, dear, wear your scarf!" Angel warned. "It's freezing today!"

"I'll be fine, Mom!" Casper reassured.

"But you might catch your death of cold." Angel said out of worry.

"Don't worry, Mom, I'll be fine," Casper promised. "See you for lunch!"

Angel looked worried, but she allowed her son to go out with his friends and have a fun day.

"Ready to have some fun in the snow?" Patrick smiled.

"You got it!" Casper agreed.

The two boys raced up the hill together to see other kids were ready to sled down as well.

"You two ready or what?" A boy asked.

"I'm gonna wipe the snow with ya guys!" a girl giggled.

"You're on!" Patrick and Casper challenged.

"Then let's race." The boy smirked.

The boy and girl then got onto their sled together.

Casper and Patrick then got onto Casper's sled.

"On your mark... Get set..." the girl said.