Our Everlasting Melody (31)

Prom is one of the most important parts of your senior year. You can't deny it. It's in all the books, the movies, and it's practically inescapable. Even if you don't go, you're forced to hear people talk about it for weeks, before and afterwards.

That was why I was glad I had a date, even if it was just a friend of mine. I knew it was much better than tagging along with a bunch of my other friends who have dates.

Cassie wasn't upset in the slightest that I was taking Sean to the prom. She had no right to be angry anyway, since she was taking my ex-boyfriend. But I still had to assure her that Sean and I were only going as friends, and he knew that. She was a little skeptical, but let it slide.

The old Cassie would have ranted and raved, even though she was taking my ex-boyfriend. In the old Cassie's head, even though it was completely fair, she was going to bitch about it. That was why I was glad I now had the new Cassie with me.

My dress was coral blue, strapless, and short, but not too short. I opted out of a long dress like Cassie and Leslie wore, because I just didn't like how any of them looked. Jane's was short as well, so I didn't feel too out of place in our group.

Morgan wasn't the happiest when she learned that I was going to the prom with Sean, even though she knew that we were only going as friends. She and Kyle came for the day so she could help me get ready, and I was really nervous the entire time because I didn't know how she would be acting with all her mood swings.

"The mood swings are pretty much gone," was one of the first things Kyle said to me once they got to my house. "They only come every once in a while."

Morgan bit down on her lip, her eyes watering. Oh, no. "How could you say that?" she wailed, covering her hands with her face. Kyle and I looked at each other in horror until my sister suddenly began to laugh. "Hah! Just kidding!"

Kyle and I definitely did not appreciate the joke.

Morgan spent two hours curling my hair and making my makeup look absolutely perfect. I could remember when she was the one that was going to prom, years beforehand. She looked absolutely amazing once she was finished, and I knew Kyle had agreed when he picked her up that night.

It made me a little sad, honestly. I wasn't going to have a date to look at me like Kyle looked at Morgan. Because I made it clear to Sean that I wanted to be nothing more than friends with him, and if he did look at me like that, I wasn't going to feel very comfortable with going with him any longer.

When Sean finally arrived at my house, I noticed just how good he looked in a tux. I hadn't seen him the year before at his prom, though I knew he had won prom king. Not that that was much of a surprise.

Though he looked amazing, the one thing I couldn't stop staring at was his tie. For a moment, I thought that I may had been color blind. But then I realized that that wasn't the problem.

"You're wearing a green tie," I informed him, in case he somehow didn't know.

He smiled nervously at me, rubbing the back of his neck. "I know. I'm sorry," he apologized, and I knew he meant it. "This was the closest color they had to your dress. The last coral blue tie had been bought an hour beforehand."

I let out a sigh, knowing that this was not Sean's fault and the fact that his tie didn't match my dress didn't really matter at all in the end. "It's fine," I assured, wrapping my arm around his and turning him toward the door.

But we couldn't leave yet. No, because my mother wanted pictures. This was her dream come true; I was going to the prom with Sean. It didn't even matter to her that I had told her that we were only going as friends. All she cared about was that I was going with Sean and it had been my idea in the first place.