Our Everlasting Melody (5)

"I really hope you understand, Leah," Carrie said to me before I could leave the hospital after a nurse had rushed us all out of the room because there were too many visitors inside. "I just want you to know that I'm not doing this to get you angry. I'm doing this so you and Blake will be safe."

I couldn't even think of anything to say to her. She thought that keeping Blake and me away from each other would keep us safe, but I knew it wouldn't. It would probably do the exact opposite, but I knew telling her this would change nothing.

"I understand," I lied. "I know you just want what's good for us, and it's good for us to be separated. Our relationship really is... unhealthy."

Forcing the word out hurt my throat. I didn't believe it, and I wasn't ever going to believe it. But whatever made her think I wasn't going nuts over this was what I was going to do.

Carrie smiled, and I was surprised when she wrapped her arms around my shoulders and hugged me. At first, I didn't respond, because it really caught me off guard, but I quickly hugged her back anyway. I didn't want her to think I was up to anything.

So when we parted ways, I had to think about what I was going to do for the rest of the day. I couldn't come back to the hospital until midnight, so I still had many hours to waste. What could I have done?

The first thing I did was have Jane drive me home. Not to Blake's apartment, but to the actual home I was raised in. My parents were surprised to see me, and I wasn't even able to tell them why I was there at first. Because, honestly, I didn't know what I was doing there.

"Leah!" my mother exclaimed when she saw me, and I only waved at her awkwardly. "What are you doing here? It isn't Saturday."

That was true. But as much as I wanted to tell them everything that had happened, my throat felt constricted and tight. I really just wanted to cry, even though I already had in the hospital.

"I, uh..." I forced out, wanting to slap myself. Why was I having trouble speaking to my own parents. "Blake woke up."

Both of my parents' eyes went wide at what I had blurted, and I wanted to slap myself even more for telling them the way I did. The last thing I wanted to do was blurt it out, but it was too late to change anything now.

"Really?" my mother asked, and I could tell she didn't know what she was supposed to say. "That's... great."

And for once, I couldn't tell if my mother was lying or not. I expected her to say something like this, but be obviously lying. But as I stood there before her, I had no idea what she really meant.

But then I remembered. Carrie had said that my parents agreed on not letting me see Blake. So that meant that they either already knew that he was awake, or they had all discussed this while he was still in the coma.

"But you guys don't care," I found myself snapping now after a few moments of silence. "You both agreed to not let me see him anymore."

This only caused both of their eyes to go even wider, if that was possible. They obviously had no idea that I knew that they had betrayed me.

"Leah..." my mother started now, and she still looked like she didn't know what she was supposed to say. "You have to understand that we just want what's best for you."

"Oh, please," I scoffed, turning toward the stairs but not walking up them. This wasn't my home anymore, so why would I go upstairs? So I turned back toward my parents, hot tears forming at the corners of my eyes. "You never liked Blake. Both of you never liked him and you never wanted me to be with him in the first place! You don't care about what's the safest choice for me; you just want me to date someone like Sean!"