Our Everlasting Melody (8)

"Hi, Leah!"

At the sound of this voice, I cringed. It was too early in the morning for me to deal with this.

"Hi, Mona," I greeted back, not wanting to be rude to her for what she would think would be for no reason.

She continued to smile as she fell into step with me, and I wanted to tell her that I just wanted to be left alone.

"So... you and Blake," she continued on now, and this was the last subject I wanted to discuss with her. "Are you guys good friends?"

I bit the inside of my cheek. "You could say that."

She nodded, and we continued walking. "Did you guys... ever date?" she asked me now.

As much as I wanted to, I knew I couldn't lie to her. "Yeah," I nodded. "We dated for a little while. Nothing too serious, though."

So I still ended up lying to her, but it wasn't like it was any of her business anyway. She didn't need to know how much Blake and I really cared about each other.

"Do you still like him?" she questioned now.

My breath caught in my throat. That wasn't even the right question to ask me. The right question to ask was whether or not I still loved him, and the answer was yes. But I didn't want her asking me that. She obviously didn't think our relationship had ever been serious.

But I now noticed that she was looking at me strangely, which annoyed me a lot. Without even meaning to, I found myself snapping, "What?"

She blinked, caught off guard by my tone. But she quickly got over it before saying, "I just can't believe Blake dated such a pretty girl. I mean, he's really good looking and all, but he's never really... liked people very much.

Was she seriously being nice to me right then? I didn't want her being nice to me. I didn't want to like her, but she was making it hard by complimenting me. Couldn't she just go away?

Luckily, the bell rang before I could say anything back to her, so I quickly excused myself and made my way to first period.

"What's wrong with you?" Jaz asked, as if noticing I wanted to strangle someone as I took my seat beside her.

I didn't answer her, because I honestly didn't want people to know that I was upset. I wasn't supposed to be dating Blake, so I shouldn't have been upset or jealous over his ex-girlfriend. Especially when she had been my friend before Blake had come back...

Jaz noticed that I didn't want to answer, so she didn't press on as class began. Christian wasn't there yet, which surprised me, but I wasn't in the mood to ask where he was.

But I really did hope that he was there, since today were the auditions for the play. Christian was so serious about this that I knew he'd be there, no matter what he had to go through.

Fifteen minutes into class, the door opened to reveal Christian. I expected him to look panicked, since he was late, but he just acted as cool as he always did. Nothing about him looked out of place in the slightest.

"Where have you been?" I asked as he took his seat behind me.

Even though I couldn't see him, I knew he shrugged. "I woke up late."

Of course he did. On such an important day, he was completely relaxed while I was freaking out. I had no idea what I was supposed to do, but Christian was perfectly fine. I was going to have to ask how he did it later. Because I definitely needed to relax about a lot of things.

When lunch rolled around, Blake and I had met up so we could buy lunch together. It was the only time we were alone during the school day without any of our friends, and we were going to enjoy it. Even though we still couldn't do anything because the rest of the school was still around us.