Our Everlasting Melody (17)

I didn't talk to Blake for a whole week.

I could tell that it was really bothering him, and I felt bad. I didn't want him to think that we had broken up, but I just couldn't face him right away.

Luckily, we were both busy after school. I had rehearsals and he had football. So that made it seem like I was avoiding him a little less.

But I felt even worse about ignoring him when I realized his birthday was coming up really soon.

I had totally forgotten, and it made me feel like the worst girlfriend in the world. Of course, I was already kind if acting like the worst girlfriend ever, so I guess it was in my character.

I hadn't celebrated his birthday last year. Of course, we hadn't been as close back then, but I still felt bad. And now that this was his eighteenth birthday, I wasn't going to miss it for anything.

I was sitting at my kitchen island after dinner on Saturday, trying to think of what I could do. His birthday was on a Monday, so maybe I could have had the party on the Sunday beforehand. But where could it be held?

There was always Blake's apartment, but I didn't know how it'd be a surprise if we had it there.

This was a lot harder than I thought it would be...

"What's up?" she asked as she made her way over to the fridge.

"Nothing," I shrugged. "Just thinking about what I could do for Blake's birthday. I think I might throw a party."

"So, you're not dating anymore, yet your planning his birthday party." Morgan blinked at me and I said nothing. "Wow, you're the best ex-girlfriend anyone could ask for."

I rolled my eyes at my older sister. "We're still friends, you know."

The look Morgan was giving me worried me just a little bit. Did she know something was up?

"I still think it's odd that you're going out with Derrick," she finally sighed, and I let out a breath I hadn't known I had been holding. "He's like a brother to me."

"That's because, technically, he is your brother," I pointed out, but Morgan simply waved this fact away.

"If he's my brother, he's your brother too." She hopped up from her seat and made her way over to our cupboards. "I just don't know why you'd date someone like Derrick after dating someone like Blake. They're two completely different people. And both you and Derrick were so happy in your past relationships."

I didn't even want to think about Derrick and Leslie right then. I had no idea where they stood, and I was sure they didn't either. I was pretty sure they hadn't talked to each other all week, and I couldn't help but be reminded of Blake. At least we weren't the only couple that wasn't on speaking terms, even though that really sucked.

"Yeah, well, feelings change," I simply shrugged, not sure if there was anything else I could say about it. And really, there wasn't. "People change."

I didn't want to think about anything changing right then. Who knew what was going to happen in the future? I think I knew better than anyone that anything was capable of happening.

"But, it's just..." Morgan started now, looking unsure. I waited for her to continue, and she took so long that I almost thought she had forgotten what she was going to say. "I just feel like you rushed into another relationship after everything that happened with Blake. Yeah, I know that you really didn't rush because it's already been a few months, but for you... that might as well have been two days."

I didn't understand. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, you and Blake were so... close," she continued, as if that was the only word she could think of to explain the two of us together. "You were really in love. Like, in love in love. What you guys had was... I can't even explain. Movies probably couldn't even explain it. You were just... so close, and I knew that there wasn't anyone else for you, or for him. And after locking yourself away for four months while he was unconscious, I just think that it's kind of weird that you have another boyfriend so soon. Even if it has been a couple of months."