Our Everlasting Melody (16)

I hadn't gone to Cassie's Halloween party the year before because I hadn't wanted to, so I just feigned illness and she had let me off the hook. But this year, I was kind of looking forward to it. It had always been really fun, and hey, there was free candy. That was always a bonus.

Though Blake and I had both gotten ready at his house, we drove to Cassie's separately. We didn't want anyone thinking we were coming together, especially since our costumes were so much alike.

"Leah!" Cassie greeted happily the second I walked through the front door. She was dressed like a cute bumblebee. "You're here! Yay!"

Sean made his way up behind her, dressed like a caveman. I felt like he always used Halloween as a reason to show off his chest. I wasn't sure what he dressed as the year before, but the year before that he was a pirate with his ripped open.

"Leah, you're..." Cassie started now, looking me up and down and looking completely confused. "You're... uh... What are you?"

I rolled my eyes and flipped my hair behind my shoulder, pointing at the two drawn-on holes on my neck. "I'm a vampire's victim. Duh."

Sean blinked at me now. "You look more like a victim, considering you're covered in fake blood."

I shrugged. "Either way, at least I'm here and not sick this year."

Cassie was now looking across the room, her eyes in suspicious slits. I held my breath, wondering just what exactly she was looking at. I nearly fell over when she said, "Blake's dressed as a vampire..."

I knew it wouldn't have been a good idea to come in costumes that went together. It was way too suspicious!

"Really?" I asked, letting out a nervous laugh as I looked in the direction Cassie was. Sure enough, there was Blake, talking to someone dressed as a werewolf. "What a coincidence! That's really funny!"

She gave me one last suspicious look before laughing herself. "Yeah, that is pretty funny."

I let out a sigh of relief. I was really glad that Cassie wasn't all that bright or else our secret would have been ruined.

Cassie now chuckled, leaning in closer to me and jabbing her thumb in Blake's direction. "Look how cute Blake and Mona are, dressed like a vampire and werewolf. They're supposed to be mortal enemies, and yet they make it look like they're a couple!"

I felt my breath catch in my throat when I looked back over at the two of them. So the werewolf he was talking to... was Mona. I wasn't even sure vampires and werewolves were mortal enemies, but that didn't even matter at that moment.

Cassie quickly went off in one direction, and Sean followed right after her. Not knowing exactly what I was supposed to do, I made my way over to the couch and sat. I guessed I'd just have to wait until someone I knew came along.

I didn't have to wait too long. I looked up, surprised when I saw a prince was staring down at me. It took me a moment to realize that it was actually Christian staring down at me.

"Uh... hi," I greeted.

Christian smirked as he eyed my neck. "A vampire's victim, huh?"

"Finally," I sighed, smiling only slightly at him. "Someone finally knows what I am! People just assume that I'm some other sort of victim from something else because they don't see the bite marks.

Christian laughed now. "Well, you're covered in a lot of fake blood."

I shrugged as he sat next to me now. "Yeah, I went a little overboard. If a vampire took this much blood out of me, I'm pretty sure I'd be dead already."