Our Everlasting Melody (10)

The first thing I did when I got home was scream.

I screamed so loud that my father barged into my room with a bat. I was surprised, because I didn't remember even having a baseball bat.

"What's wrong?" my father asked now, looking around my room, at the ready to attack anyone that was trying to hurt me. But when he saw that I was in my room, alone, he set the bet down. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," I answered, even though I didn't know if that was really true. My chest and throat were burning, and not just because I had screamed. "I just... thought I saw a spider, that's all."

My dad rolled his eyes, but I was expecting this much from him. He just thought I was acting like a regular teenage girl, and truthfully, I kind of was. I had just screamed because I was angry with my boyfriend. This definitely wasn't one of my proudest moments.

"Stupid Mona," I grumbled now as I made my way toward my bed and plopped down onto it. "Stupid, stupid Mona. Why did you have to transfer to our school? Why couldn't you just stay at your old school? Ugh!"

I just wanted to throw my pillows all around until I had finally calmed down. I was so pissed off and I had no idea what I was supposed to do. Blake didn't believe anything I said to him about Mona. He didn't think she still liked him. After dating someone for five years, how could you be completely over them? I had barely been dating Blake for a year and I thought I'd never be over him.

"Leah!" I now heard my mother call out from downstairs, and I let out a groan. I did not want to deal with her right now. "Will you come downstairs, please?"

As much as I wanted to say no, I knew that I couldn't. As much as I didn't want to deal with my mother at that very moment, or ever, I knew that I had to.

"What?" I asked as I padded down the stairs. I knew I'd most likely not like whatever she had to say to me.

But when I got to the bottom of the stairs, I stopped dead in my tracks. Standing there beside my mother was Blake, who was the last person I expected to be at my house right then.

"Um..." was all I was able to say.

He smiled at me, almost apologetically. "Hey."

My mother did not look happy. But she never looked very happy at all whenever Blake was around or even mentioned, so it wasn't like I was expecting her to be a ray of sunshine or anything. I was surprised she had even let him in the house.

"Well, I'm off to buy groceries," my mother informed us now, giving us both a look before turning toward the front door. "I'll be back in and hour or two. I'll see you both then."

I was beyond shocked. Why was she letting me stay home alone with Blake? Yes, my father was home, but he wasn't going to leave his office because he had work to do... And my mother hated Blake! She'd always hated the fact that I was dating him...

Wait! That was it! She didn't think I was dating him anymore!

That was the only reason why she let him in the house. If she knew that we were actually still dating, she'd be furious and probably never let me see him again. At least she allowed me to be around him because we were now supposedly just friends.

We just stood there for about a minute after my mother left, just in case she came back to get something she had forgotten. I felt like this was just one big test. Blake and I weren't being secretive enough and everyone knew that we were still together. They just wanted evidence so they could prove it.

"So," I started, since I didn't know what I was supposed to say. My throat felt constricted, and I hoped Blake would save me from talking and just speak himself.