Our Everlasting Melody (13)

When I woke up that morning, I didn't know where I was right away. But after I blinked a few times, and felt a familiar arm wrapped around my waist, I knew where I was.

I rolled over so that I was now facing Blake. With his arm still around me, I snuggled into his chest and closed my eyes once again. It was Saturday morning, he was still asleep, and I never wanted to leave his arms.

"Oh, Blake!" a new voice suddenly rang out through the apartment, and it nearly gave me a heart attack.

"Damn it!" I cursed under my breath, rolling right out of Blake's arms and onto the floor. Hoping that my collision with the floor hadn't been too loud, I grabbed my clothes that were hanging off the chair beside us and slid underneath the bed.

Blake, of course, slept through all of this.

The door to his bedroom now opened, and I saw Carrie's familiar high heels as she made her way inside. I bit my lip as hard as I could, telling myself that I needed to stop breathing so heavily or she'd know I was there.

"Are you really still asleep?" she asked, making her way closer to the bed and shaking my boyfriend. "Blake, it's twelve o'clock in the afternoon! It's time to wake up!"

I heard my boyfriend groan, and I knew he pushed himself up into a sitting position. "Leah...?" he mumbled, and it made my breath catch in my throat.

Normally, I loved his sleepy voice. It was probably the sexiest thing I had ever heard. But not when he was about to ruin our secret!

I could tell Carrie frowned. "Were you dreaming about Leah?"

Blake seemed to realize that Carrie was the one before him now, not me. He let out a loud cough, as if he had been choking. "Uh... yeah, I was."

Carrie let out a sigh. "Well, I guess that's not really your fault."

If I didn't have to be quiet, I'd be the one letting out a sigh now. If only she'd leave so I could get out from under this dusty bed, which was even worse than behind the couch.

"I thought I'd cook you breakfast, or lunch, I guess," Carrie suggested, and I was finding it harder and harder to breathe with all this dust around me. I had to clean this once she was gone so that, if I had to do this again, I wouldn't choke under here.

"Actually, Carrie," Blake began now, and I knew he was confused because he had no idea where I was. "I'm really not hungry. I actually feel kind of sick, and I really just want to be left alone."

"Are you sure you don't want to just go back to sleep and dream about Leah?" she asked him now, and she almost sounded like the old Carrie, the Carrie that I missed. She almost sounded giggly and teasing. Almost.

"Carrie, you always ask me about her every time you come over," Blake sighed now, and it made me feel bad. "And I tell you every time that I'm okay and that I'm over her. We're just friends now. Do you not believe me?"

I mean, I wouldn't blame her if she didn't believe him. It was a lie.

"But you two... just loved each other so much," Carrie whispered now, as if it was some huge secret.

Blake stayed quiet for only a moment. "Obviously we didn't really if we got over each other so easily."

I didn't know what to think about this. Blake and I obviously loved each other more than anything if we were still fighting to be together in secret, but it was weird to hear him say we didn't love each other to someone else. I had to do this all the time, to friends and family, and I didn't like it then either.

"Well, I just find it a little hard to believe, that's all," Carrie informed him, sounding very sad. It was too hard to not like her, and that's why I didn't hate her. I knew that Carrie only wanted us apart because she cared about not only Blake, but me as well. She just wanted us to be safe, and she thought us being apart would make us safe. I knew that she didn't want us to be apart, but she felt like we had to be. "I think it'll finally hit me once you get another girlfriend."