Close

*Time skip: two months later, Sky's POV*

   "WILLIAM JAY BEHLENDORF, GIVE ME MY PHONE!" I screamed as I chased my best friend around his house. Yes, you heard me: Will and I are best friends now. We've hung out at least twice a week ever since we met. Today, Will and I were just sitting on his couch watching TV, and he thought it would be funny to take my phone. Boy, was he wrong.

   I ran around the house after Will, trying desperately to get my phone back. Surprisingly, Will started getting tired after about five minutes of running, but he tried to keep going for as long as possible.

   "I've got you now, Will!" I laughed evilly as I caught up to him in his backyard. Will stopped short, and I crashed into him, sending both of us tumbling to the ground. Somehow, Will landed on top of me, his eyes wide as he realized what had happened.  

   "Hey, Sky," Will said awkwardly.

   "Will, you're surprisingly light for someone who's two years older than me, but can you kindly stop crushing me?"

   Will smiled nervously, standing up and offering his hand to me. When I stood up, the two of us started laughing hysterically.

   "I'll take this back now."  I grabbed his hand to get my phone back, but Will kept holding my hand for a second.  He realized what he was doing, and quickly dropped my hand. Well, that just happened. There had been a lot of these cute awkward moments between me and Will lately, but it's probably nothing. 

   "Sky?" Will asked quietly.

   "Yes, Will?"

   Will stared at me for a second, as if thinking of what to say. Sighing, he said, "Can you help me pick the songs for my set list?"

   "Set list? When's the next time you're performing?" I asked skeptically.

   "Well, I don't know. But I want to be prepared for when I get another gig."

   "Um, sure, I'll help you," I smiled. Will smiled back, and we went back inside. Will lead me to his room, and we both sat on the bed. He grabbed his ukulele and started playing random chords.

   "So, I'm thinking you start with the really happy songs- like 'Anti-Social Media' and 'Hit List'- and gradually get into the slower, sadder songs like 'One of Many' and 'Watercolors.' Is that something you'd be down with?"

   "That's a great idea, Sky!" Will exclaimed. 

   I laughed. "That's basically what you do for your other concerts. I was just trying to stick with what you're comfortable with."

   "Okay. So I was thinking something like: 'Gentleman,' 'Version of Love,' then maybe 'Anti-Social Media', 'Fillin' in the Blanks', 'Hit List', 'Settled in My Ways', 'Carousel', 'Watercolors', ' Every Little Piece', then  'One of Many.' How about that?"

   "Perfect!" I said. We wrote down the song arrangements, then Will asked the most unexpected question ever.

   "Sky, will you sing for me?" 

   I was shocked he would even ask something like that. "If you have any respect for your ears, you don't want to hear me sing."

   "I'm sure you have a beautiful voice," Will encouraged. "Come on. One song? For me?"

   "Alright, fine," I grumbled. "Can you play 'When I Was Your Man' by Bruno Mars on the ukulele?"

   Will laughed. "Actually, I can." He started strumming, so I started singing:

 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xgVV6fT_kww

   When I finished the song, Will stared at me with an expression of pure shock. After a few seconds, he burst into applause. "Why didn't you tell me you could sing, Sky?"

   "Singing's your thing," I replied. After all, he did over 65k subscribers on YouTube.

  "Sky, we need to get you signed somewhere!" Will exclaimed out of nowhere. "You deserve to be heard."

   "Will, it's my dream to be famous, but what if I'm not good enough?" I looked at the ground self-consciously. I mean, sure I had basic skill, but basic skill wouldn't get me a recording contract!

   "Not good enough? Skylar, you're BEYOND good enough!"

   "Thanks, but I have an awful case of stage-fright. Plus, it's already seven, so I should get home. Andy and I are making dinner together." I stood up, walking towards the door. Will got up too,  following me out to my car. I hugged him around the neck. "See you 'round?"

   "Yeah. Bye, Sky," Will said, pecking me on the lips. Wait, what?   

   "Um... BYE WILL!" I said quickly, jogging to get to the driver's seat of my car. Will ran after me, stuttering as he tried to explain himself.

   "S-Sky I d- didn't- I mean I-"

   "Will, it's okay," I said, trying to keep my expression neutral, but I couldn't stop a huge smile from creeping up on my face. Will noticed I was smiling and calmed down a little bit.

  "So... are we on for tomorrow?" he asked, starting to smile a little bit himself.

  I smiled back. "Tomorrow." With that, I drove home. When I got inside, I went straight to Andy's room and told her everything. When I was done, Andy applauded me.

   "Congrats, Sky. You have officially been crushed on by a celebrity."

*Will's POV*

   "So, you had her sing for you, then you kissed her?" asked my brother Alex. He was the only one home since Mom and Dad were on vacation, so I had just told him everything.

   "Basically," I replied.

   "Wow. What did she do?"

   I looked down. "She smiled and drove away."

   Alex started laughing. "You're so bad with girls that Skylar- your BIGGEST FAN- ran away after you kissed her?

   "Technically, she DROVE away," I grumbled.

   Alex applauded sarcastically. "Congrats, Will. You successfully DROVE a girl away. Now get out of my room."