Think Before You Swoon

"Sky? Are you dead? Omigosh, please don't be dead."

   I woke up for the second time that day feeling someone fanning me as an unidentified voice spoke to me. When I opened my eyes, Andy fanned me furiously as Will Jay held me in his arms. Will. Freaking. Jay. I almost passed out again as I realized that Will was there. He saw my eyes open and sighed with relief. "Hey, Skylar."

   "Well, hello there," I said, still slightly delusional.

   "Andrea, she's awake!" Will exclaimed, looking back at me. "That was quite a faint. I've never seen anyone swoon better."

   "Thank you?" I laughed, trying to get up, falling back down in the process. 

   "Hey," Will said, holding the small of my back for support. "Watch yourself. Swooning is hard on the legs. I would know, I met Fifth Harmony."

   I laughed. "Fangirling over booty-shaking harlots? That's below you, Will."

   "I'm guessing you don't like Fifth Harmony?" Will asked, trying not to laugh hysterically.

   "Nope. Thanks for catching me, by the way," I said sheepishly, remembering my embarrassing fainting spell.

    Will laughed. "Any time. Although next time you faint over me, a warning would be nice."

    "Next time?"

    "Yeah. You fainted over me, we have to hang out!" Will laughed, while also being completely serious.

   "Okay. When?" I asked, as if it were totally normal to set up a date with your celebrity crush.

   "Well, I have a show tomorrow night. But if you want to hang out beforehand and come see the show, we could do that."

   I thought about it. What if his fans saw us and thought we were together? Surely he had thought about that; he must've had other female friends who had this predicament. Another scary/exciting thought hit me: what if he wanted people to think we were together? Calm down, Sky, I thought. Don't let your imagination run that wild.

   "Skylar?" Andrea asked, snapping me out of my thoughts. "Will Jay just asked to hang out with you- what are you gonna do next?"

  I stood stunned for a moment. "I'm going to Disney World?"

   Will and Andy look at each other before we all burst out laughing. "I think this the start of a beautiful friendship, Skylar," Will giggled. Let me tell you, if you thought his laugh was cute, just wait until you hear his giggle.

   "I guess this really was a good idea for your present, Sky," Andy said, drawing attention to herself.

   "Yeah, for both of us," Will said, winking at me.

   "You're a mastermind, Andrea," I said with a heap of sarcasm in my voice. "No, but seriously, thank you. This was the best eighteenth birthday of my life."

   "Well, enjoy it. It's the only one ya got, kiddo," Andy replied, putting her arm around my shoulder.

   "Wait- you're eighteen?" Will asked with genuine interest.

   "Yes, why?" I replied.

   "You're prettier than any other eighteen-year-old fan I've met."

   I felt myself blush, then my heart dropped. Right. I was just another fan to him. That's all I would probably ever be, and I knew that, but I didn't want to face reality.

   "Sky? I have to go, but call me, okay?" Will gave me a slip of paper with his number on it. As I heard Andy gasp behind me, Will hugged me again. This time, he hugged a bit tighter, his arms closer to my waist. He probably does that with all of his fans, right? There's no way in Hogwarts that Will Jay- the hottest Asian singer out there- could like me, an average nobody from a small town in upstate New York. As I let go of Will, he held my hand for a second. He looked like he was going to say something,  but he just turned and left, his hand brushing against mine as he walked away.

   "Welp, what now?" Andy asked, putting her arms around my shoulder.

   "Let's go home. I'm tired."

   We went home in silence. Andy might have spoken to me, but I was too busy thinking to hear her. Will couldn't like me. Guys like him don't go for girls like me . But maybe. Just maybe.