9

Mason POV

"I don't like this" I said pacing around Derek's new office "I don't like this one bit"

"Sit down and let me do my work" Derek said not even looking up from the paperwork he was working on.

I slammed my hands on his desk.
"She hasn't called or texted once since she's gone with that.. that oversized tyrant" I said in frustration "aren't you even worried a little bit!"

"No. Asher is a nice guy and an excellent Alpha" stated Derek plainly.

"How do you know that you've only met him once" I pointed out

Putting down his pen, Derek exhaled in annoyance.

"He was nice enough to let you live even though your scent was all over his mate if it was anyone else you'd be long dead" he said looking straight at me.

"Why do you call her 'his mate'? Her name is Isla she's an actual person not some possession" I said still adamant on my point

"Mason she is his mate" he stated firmly

"Yeah I've never heard that before" I said sarcastically while sitting down in a chair with a thud.

"You're right you're tired of hearing it I'm tired of saying it so let's move on" said Derek throwing a file in my direction it landed in front of me on his desk.

"What's this?" I said picking it up

"It's a list of the packs I want you to visit" said Derek while looking for something on his desk.

"Why?" I asked

"This is why" he said handing a piece of paper which was what he seemed to be searching for before. It was a copy of a treaty between our pack and five others.

"This was made when dad was still alpha I want to know if it still holds. I would've gone myself but there is so much to do here so I'm sending you" explained Derek.

"When do I have to leave?" I asked standing up with the file in my hands

"I was thinking tonight" he answered

"Ok I'll pack my stuff and be on my way" I said with a nod I was about to leave when Derek spoke again.

"If it'll make you feel any better I'll call Asher later today and ask how Isla is doing. I doubt he'll let me talk to her but I'll try" he said with a smile

"Thanks that means a lot" I said before turning around to leave again.

This was a huge responsibility Derek gave me and I wasn't going to let him or Isla down. After all I did have a promise to keep, to be the best beta this pack has ever seen.