Oh.My. Gosh.

A/N Don't worry, she meets Will later on in the chapter.  I'm trying to build up a backstory for the main character (Skylar).  

·Skylar's POV·

"Wake up! Come on, ya gerbil, wake up!"

   I woke up to my cousin Andrea bouncing on the edge of my bed, yelling as loud as she could. Opening my eyes, I grabbed the nearest pillow and flung it at her. And trust me, it hurt- I have a good pitcher's arm. Not that I use it... well anyway, back to the story.

   "What, Andy?" I asked groggily, sitting up to face my jumpy cousin.

   Andy stopped bouncing. "Well, someone's a happy eighteen-year-old," she said sassily.

   What was she talking about? I don't turn eighteen until...TODAY! I'm eighteen today! I squealed, jumping out of my sheets and hugging my cousin. "Andy, I'm an adult now!"

   She laughed. "You're sure acting like one! Hold on, I have a surprise for you." Andy ran to her room, coming back seconds later with a large black gift bag filled with minty green tissue paper. 

   "Andy, what's-"

   "Open the bag now, ask questions later," Andy laughed.

   I did as I was told and opened the bag. Inside I found an adorable black romper with pink and blue flowers all over it. There was also a pair of pastel pink ballet flats. I checked the logo inside the shoes: Kate Spade. Those cost like a hundred dollars online!

   "Andy, thank you so much!" I squealed, hugging Andy again. She laughed, pulling from behind her back a little package wrapped in gold wrapping paper.

   "This is from your parents," she smiled. My parents let me move in with Andy when I was sixteen so I could pursue my music career. So, I left them behind in New York and moved to California. As I unwrapped a little box, I smiled, remembering how supportive they are of me. When I opened the box all the way, my eyes widened so much, I thought they would fall out of my head: in that box was a beautiful emerald pendant hanging on a silver chain. I couldn't believe my parents got this for me.

   "Wow," Andy marveled. "Well, get dressed. I'm taking you out for a surprise."

   "Andrea Vanesse Ward, you got me an adorable outfit that probably cost a week's worth of your income. Don't spend all your money on your cousin!" I said. Look at me being all responsible 😁. 

   "Come on, Squrit, it's not every day your cousin turns eighteen!" Andy laughed. "I'll be back in ten minutes to do your hair and makeup." With that, she skipped out of the room. Wow, Andy, just wow.

   I got out of bed, turned on my Spotify "Will Jay da Bae" playlist, quickly ran to my bathroom, washed my face, and ran back out again. I put on the cute little romper and shoes Andy gave me, then started brushing my hair. As I got myself ready for the day, I sang along to "Gentleman," one of my all-time favorite Will Jay Songs. It made me want to get up and dance when I listened to it- well, the Lind of dancing where you jump around your room like a maniac, grimacing when your cousin walks by and laughs at you. That's exactly what happened today. I was spinning around crazily when Andy came into the doorway, laughing hysterically as I almost twirled into the wall. 

   "Okay, because it's your birthday, I will spare you any and all ridicule for whatever that was," she giggled. I sat down on my bed as Andy took out her eye shadow and foundation. "I'll go kind of natural today, I guess," she said, referring to my makeup. "Maybe some eyeli-"

   "Yes, yes, always eyeliner," I cut her off. I have a weird obsession with eyeliner, don't judge. "Soooooo... where are we going today?"

   "Nice try, Squirt," Andy smiled, applying foundation to my face. "It's a surprise. I know you'll love it, though."

   I tried to sit still as Andy drew on my eyelids. Let me tell you, you have not been fidgety until you've had someone else apply your eyeliner. As soon as Andy was done prettifying my face, we ran to her car. "Sorry, kiddo, but I have to do this," Andy said, putting a blue bandana over my eyes like a blindfold.

   "Is this my bandana?" 

   "Not important," Andy said. "And we're off!"

   Even though I was blindfolded, the car ride was anything but quiet. Andy had taken my Will Jay EP hostage last night so she could play it in the car today. If only she had just asked for it... I still wouldn't have handed it over. We sang along to every song on the EP; seeing as I play it non-stop 24/7, we both know every word by heart. After we heard "Talking in Your Sleep" for the second time, I felt the car come to a stop. Andy turned off the radio, got out of the car, and helped her blind little cousin (me) out as well. I could hear people talking, and I smelled salt water and high-cholesterol food, so I knew we were at the Pier. Music started to play, and as Andy took off my blindfold, I saw that I was onstage, in front of about two hundred people.

   "Happy birthday, Skylar," a voice boomed from behind me. I knew that voice. How did I know that voice? I turned around, and there stood my celebrity crush since about four years ago: Will. Freaking. Jay. As I resisted the urge to squeal uncontrollably, Will smiled at me- his smile is gorgeous- and started singing:

   I wanna keep you for good so I swear I'll keep my word.

   Open doors, carry bags, always put my lady first.

He smiled again, winking at me. I squealed happily, feeling my face get hot and blushy.

   I'll be hand writing your letters all in cursive, 

   Won't mess up your mascara, just your lipstick.

   Even if I'm living in the wrong time

All of the girls in the crowd went crazy. I'm guessing they're fans...

     I'll do it like they did way back when,

   Please and thank you it to hold your hand.

Will took my hand and kissed it quickly, his eyes never leaving mine. I felt a big smile creep up on my burning red face. 

    I'll convince you chivalry ain't dead,

     So can I be your gentleman?

     Baby can I, can I,

     Can I, can I,

     Can I be your gentleman? 

     You've got something all the other

     Girls will never have,

     And that's my heart.

     That's my heart.

Will smiled at me, making a heart on his chest with those gigantic piano-player hands of his. I laughed, and I heard him chuckle lightly. Dang, he's cute. 

   I'll do it like they did way back when,

   Please and thank you just to hold your hand.

   I'll convince you chivalry ain't dead,

   So can I be your gentleman?

   My baby can I, can I 

   Can I, can I

   Can I be your gentleman? 

   The music stopped, and everyone burst into applause. Will smiled, then motioned for me to take a bow. I curtseyed self-consciously, laughing as Will bowed too. To my utmost surprise, Will engulfed me in a hug. I hugged back, counting to five in my head because I didn't know how long was too long to hug him. As I pulled away, Will smiled. He said into the microphone, "Happy eighteenth birthday, Skylar. From your friend, Will Jay."

   Everyone clapped, and everything went black as I felt my back hit the ground.