Transcending Peace

And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:7

To transcend is to go beyond the limits of one thing. Paul used the word to exhort the Philippian believers that the peace of God surpasses the limits of understanding. This results to the guarding of their hearts and of their minds in Christ. 

On the other hand, the idea of peace in Philippians 4:7 proceeds from a directive to pray as an antidote for anxiety. Peace, which is the wholeness, serenity and security that God gives, is God’s alternative for worries. 

To think that Paul wrote the Book of Philippians while in prison exemplifies how it is to have a transcending peace. God’s peace in his life brings about a deep sense of security that could not be contained by any prison bar. It propels the apostle to encourage others even if he himself is in a disheartening condition. It allows him to exhort even if he himself needs it. 

As we pray to God and present all our requests to Him, He can flood our hearts with His peace. This is not because He will give us whatever we wish for. At times, He does not grant our wishes. But His peace allows us to be still because God remains trustworthy. Despite any difficulty we face, He is still in control. 

If you are struggling with anxieties and deep worries, would you take time to pray? God’s peace will quiet your mind and guard your heart. Allow His peace to transcend all your doubts and concerns, and give you that quiet certainty that God is always sovereign.