Godly Desire

Desire is that deep longing we have in our hearts. Sadly, most of our desires are conditioned by our sinful nature. The Scriptures warn, “For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want” (Galatians 5:17). Because we are sinful, our desires include things that offend God. 

However, our desires can be directed to things that honor God. Psalm 20:4 says, May he give you the desire of your heart and make all your plans succeed. Psalm 37:4 adds, Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart. God is willing to satisfy our desires provided that we first take delight in Him. 

Godly desires fuel our passion for God. When we truly want Him then we passionately purse Him. Our prayers are transformed from lifeless conversation to intimate moments with our Creator. As the man of prayer E.M. Bounds writes, “The soul cannot be [inactive] when some great desire fixes and inflames it…Strong desires make strong prayers… the neglect of prayer is the fearful token of dead spiritual desires. There can be no true praying without desire.”

Godly desires push us to come to God just like the bleeding woman who desperately wanted to be healed yet felt so unclean that she just thought of touching the hem of the garment of Jesus. Her desire propelled her to ignore cultural taboos and persisted to touch Jesus. As we learn from her, godly desires can be born in the most trying times. Desires spark us to draw near and hold on to Jesus.

Are you just getting by, living like the mechanical clock- monotonous, void of any passion? Let God fill you with godly desires. Allow him to instill a passion in your heart, first for Him then for His cause. Then you will no longer have to drag yourself through life. instead, you will live every day with great enthusiasm.

Bring back that spark. Ignite a passion for God. Run after godly pursuits. Pursue God.