Jesus- The Good Shepherd

LIFESOURCE CONNECTIONS: Reflections for Life from the Real Life Source 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

“I am the Good Shepherd. The Good Shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. I am the Good Shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me..” John 10: 11, 14

The shepherd analogy provides a very vivid picture of a caring Christ who is not only responsible for feeding His flock, but also leading them to abundant life. We should not fail to see that abundant life here is reflected not just because the Shepherd leads the flock to green pastures, but simply because the Shepherd abides with His flock.

As the Good Shepherd, He stays and provides security for His flock. He has committed to abide with us in order to guide us in every step we take and to protect us against harm and any trouble that might come along the way. 

Because Jesus is the Good Shepherd, He makes all heavenly resources available to us. The richness of the Christian experience is in the abiding. If you have the source, do you still need more? If you are guided by someone who knows where the best and the greenest of the pastures is, would you still be deprived of anything in your life? If He can guide you through the “valley of the shadow of death,” do you still need to be afraid? With Christ, as our Shepherd we will surely lack no good thing. He has all of heaven’s resources to pour out on us. 

With Jesus comes protection. He shields us from the enemy, even willing to die for us. He is consumed by the welfare of His sheep. When evil threatens to steal, kill and destroy His sheep, He positions Himself to fight for them, even risking His own life. 

If we invite Jesus to shepherd over us, we must accord Him will all the faith and obedience He deserves. We must learn to trust that He will not lead us to harm. We must train ourselves to recognize His voice and to obey His commands.