Rest Your Soul

Matt 11:16-30

28 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Who among us does not need rest? If God instituted a day to rest, then rest must be very essential. 

To rest is to actually quit from what we are currently engaged in. It is actually a state where one can experience all of God. It is confidently leaning on the goodness of God. Psalm 116:7 reminds us, “Be at rest once more, O my soul, for the LORD has been good to you.”

The ability to rest suggests meeting God in a hideaway, a secret place where your soul is energized because it is able to commune with the Creator. Isn’t it a liberating experience to be drawn away from all the rigidities of life and just bask in the presence of God?

Jesus invites us to this kind of rest. It is not really a place where you go to, but a mindset where you exchange the yokes of this world with his yoke of rest. Jesus, who is gentle and humble in heart, is willing to take the burden imposed by rules and legalism of our days and exchange it with his yoke of rest. 

Reflecting on Matthew 11:28, rest is available. All we have to do is to come to Jesus. Will you do that now? Unload your burdens before Him and allow Him to give you rest.