Surpassing Greatness

Philippians 3:7-8

7 But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. 8 What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ.

With full conviction, the apostle Paul asserts that everything he considered as profit is now loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus our Lord. He has discovered that true wealth does not lie on any worldly success but in the SURPASSING GREATNESS of being in relationship with Christ.

The apostle’s play of words present a sharp contrast between knowing Jesus Christ and all that the world can boast. As a Pharisee devoted to the law and a true-blooded Jew, he had all the reasons to boast about his stature. He was even so zealous for his own religion that he, at one point, persecuted other Christians. But, as he realized, these amount to nothing compared to knowing Christ.

SURPASSING GREATNESS is how Paul described what for him is knowing Christ. Having a relationship with Christ far exceeds the satisfaction brought by any temporary treasures or successes. The intimacy with Him is so wonderful that by comparison everything else is reduced to garbage.

How then should you evaluate your relationship with Christ? Do you really value your relationship with God that everything else is nothing compared to Him? Have you held Jesus as your most invaluable possession, something that you would not dare give up even for all the treasures of the earth combined?

Christ is our greatest treasure and knowing Him is a SURPASSING GREATNESS. Don’t exchange Jesus for any of the world’s garbage.