Perfect Goal

Phil 3:12-14

12 Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13 Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

Paul admitted that he is not yet perfect. It is a subtle way to actually distinguish himself as a true disciple whose passion is Christ versus those who make perfection their goal. 

It seems that a lot of people today are no different from many of the Philippians. They want to attain perfection. Yet they do so void of a genuine example of what perfection is all about. Paul tactfully leads his readers to look to Christ as the goal for living, not perfection. 

To live to be perfect is impossible. We are fallen human beings to begin with. David in the Psalms admit that there is nothing good in him, he was sinful from birth. If this is true of us, then everything that flows out from us is tainted with imperfection. It is a futile attempt to become perfect.

But to make Christ as the goal for living is far different. When you look at him, you see a perfect person- one who is blameless yet so authentic, so holy yet so immersed with reality. You see in Christ both the love and grace of God personified. 

To live out the values and character of Christ, or simply to be Christ-like, ought to be our goal in living. Perfection can never be understood apart from Him; it remains a vague ideal without Jesus as that pattern of perfection. Christ alone is perfect. 

Don’t struggle to be perfect. Like Paul, press on toward having more of Christ and becoming more like Christ. This is your perfect goal.