Sacrifices of the Broken Heart

“The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise” Psalm 51:17

Our worship of God is not dependent on what we offer God. Instead, it is our heart’s condition that makes our offering acceptable to Him.

An attitude that God will not despise is ‘brokenness’. To be broken is to acknowledge our nothingness before an Almighty God. It is losing our selfishness and self-centeredness in the light of God’s presence. As much as a glass when broken can no longer hold water, the spirit shattered can no longer contain pride and arrogance for it acknowledges that it has nothing to boast before the Almighty God. 

Akin to brokenness is the contrite heart, a heart that wholeheartedly admits his offenses, experiences God’s forgiveness, and one who does not live independently from the grace of God. David echoed the same as he cries out, “Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions. Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin” (Ps 51:1-2).

The Contrite surrenders his sinfulness in exchange for a reconciled, unhindered and intimate relationship with God. He despises sin as it offends God. Receiving unmerited favor from God, He greatly values God’s forgiveness and does not treat it with contempt.

God is never impressed with the lavishness of our offerings. As always, it is the heart that attracts Him. When coming to God in worship, bring a heart that is broken of pride and contrite for all its offenses. God never despises the sacrifices of the broken heart.