Growing Through Temptations

“Happy is the man who doesn’t give in and do wrong when he is tempted, for afterwards he will get his reward the crown of life that God has promised those who love him." James 1:12

My temptation have been my masters of divinity. Marthin Luther

Every temptation is an opportunity to do good. 

On the path to spiritual maturity, even temptation becomes a stepping stone rather than a stumbling block when you realize that it is just as much an occasion to do the right thing as it is to do the wrong thing. Temptation simply provides the choice. While temptation is Satan’s primary weapon to destroy you, God wants to use it to develop you. Every time you choose to do good instead of sinning, you are growing in the character of Christ.

Combating temptations begins with understanding how it works. Here is a basic understanding of how temptations work:*

Step One: DESIRE. Satan identifies a desire inside of you. Temptation starts when Satan suggests (with a thought) that you give in to an evil desire, or that you fulfill a legitimate desire in a wrong way or at the wrong time. We think temptation lies around us, but God says it begins within us. If you didn’t have the internal desire, the temptation could not attract you. Temptation always starts in your mind, not in circumstances. 

Step Two: DOUBT. Satan tries to get you to doubt what God has said about the sin: Is it really wrong? 

Step Three: DECEPTION. Satan is incapable of telling the truth and is called “the Father of Lies"

Step Four: DISOBEDIENCE You finally act on the though you’ve been toying with in your mind. You give in to whatever got your attention.

Here are some suggested steps in order to overcome temptation:*

Refuse to be intimidated. It is not a sin to be tempted. You will never outgrow temptation.

Recognize you pattern of temptation and be prepared for it. You should identify your typical pattern of temptation and then prepare to avoid those situations as much possible. Wise planning reduces temptation.

Request God’s help. God wants us to ask him for assistance in overcoming temptation

* Adapted from existing materials