He Holds Everything Together

Col 1:15-20

15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16 For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. 17 He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 18 And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy. 19 For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him, 20 and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross.

Colossians 1:15-20 enumerates some of the very profound attributes of the Lord Jesus Christ. This passage alone is enough to prove the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ. More than that, these assert that Christ is supreme over everything, thus reinforcing the claim that Jesus is divine. Among His attributes listed here are:

The image of the invisible God

Firstborn over all creation

All things were created by Him and for Him

He is before all things

In Him all things hold together

He is the head of the body, the church

He is the beginning and the firstborn

All of God’s fullness dwell on Him

Through him all things are reconciled to Himself

While all these truths are wonderful realities that should strengthen our faith, the fact that He holds all things together is one that is quite interesting. 

With all the scientific information about the complexity of the whole universe and how things within it are in harmony, it must take a very powerful being to keep everything in its proper places. The distance, for example, of our planet to the sun is, according to science, just enough to sustain life on earth. Had it gone a bit closer or a bit further, life would never be possible. But Jesus created our planet to be just where it ought to be. This among countless others is a proof that He holds all things together. 

You may be overwhelmed with all the challenges you face. Please take time to pray to God and find your strength in Jesus who is able to keep all things together. He has powerful and steady hands to keep things from falling apart. If you think your life, your work, your relationships, your family is breaking apart, rely on Jesus. If He can take care of the planets and all of the universe so that everything is in its proper place, He can do the same for you. Allow Him to guard your life from being torn apart. He is able to keep your life together.