Chapter 46: Blind

It was about a week after the mission and I was practicing my Dark Style techniques. I wanted to learn more about my Shadow Clone and see what it can do. "Dark Style: Black Shadow Clone!" I awakened my shadow as it turned into a figure of me.

It stared blankly out into space. "Oh, right. You can't see." I said with a face palm. "Awakening Eyes." Its eyes glowed a blood red and looked at me. "Can you speak?" I asked my shadow. It shook its head no.

"But you can understand me." I said. It nodded its head, yes. "Do you have a name?" I asked it. It shook its head again. "Do you want me to give you a name?" I asked. It shrugged its shoulders in response. "How about... Wait, are you a male or a female?" I asked.

I face palmed again. How am I supposed to ask it that question when it can't even speak. "Okay. One finger for yes, two fingers for no, okay?" I explained. It nodded, saying it understood. "Are you a male?" I asked. It held up two fingers.

"Female?" It once again held up two fingers. "So, you're... genderless?" I asked. It held up one finger and nodded its head. "Okay. How about we call you... Shadow?" I suggested. It shrugged its shoulders.

"I'm gonna take that as a yes. All right, Shadow. Let's see what you can do." I said. I made a clone of myself so it could fight Shadow. "Ready when you are." I said to Shadow. It nodded and got in position.

It used its body to wrap around my clone like a snake and began to squeeze the life out of her. Soon, my clone turned into a puff of smoke. "Cool. What else can you do?" I asked. For some reason, Shadow went into my shadow.

"What the...?" Hey, what's wrong?" I asked it, but it didn't come back. "There you are, Nue. Didn't you hear me calling you?" Shikamaru said as he walked over to me. "Hey, Shikamaru. Sorry, I didn't hear you." I said. So, that's why Shadow went away.

"Listen, Tsunade wants to speak with you."

"About what?"

"I don't know. She just told me to come get you."

"Okay."

I followed Shikamaru as he lead me to the Hokage House. "Nue, why do you have to wear that cloak? I already know what you look like." Shikamaru said. "I just wear it so other people won't have to see them. But I guess there's no point in the matter, now that they know." I said, sadly.

"Don't worry about what they think of you. What matters is what you think of you." Shikamaru said. I giggled slightly. "You sound just like Naruto." I said with a closed-eye smile. He smiled back and we were at the Hokage House.

"Hello, Nue." Tsunade greeted. "Hi." I said. Shizune's pig oinked and ran over to me. I picked him up and petted his head. "Nice to see you, too, Tonton," I set him on the floor, then looked at Tsunade. "So, you wanted to speak with me?" I asked.

"Yes." She answered. I noticed there were other jonins in the room. "Uh, what's going on?" I asked. "Nue Houjuu, you've been promoted to Chunin. Congratulations." Tsunade announced. "Say what?! Why?! All of a sudden?!" I was totally surprised and somewhat speechless.

"A few jonin saw your performance back at Nekomata's Fortress and during the attack from the Sound Village. They saw how you protected your teammates and defeated Gaara. You fought very bravely, Nue." Tsunade praised.

Wait, if they saw me, does that mean they saw my wings tails, too? Okay, that's a stupid question when the answer's obvious. "I... I really don't know what to say. Thank you, Lady Tsunade." I said.

"You're welcome. And to test your skills as a Chunin, I'm assigning you an A-rank mission." She said.

"By myself?"