Chapter 16: Maria's Departure and The Demon Brothers

"Sasuke. I'm at point B."

"Sakura. I'm at point C."

"...Naruto. I'm at point A. Believe it!"

"Too slow, Naruto. Nue, where are you?"

"Aww! You're just so cute! I love you!"

I was playing with the lost cat, Tora, we were assigned to bring back to some lady. I was talking to it, asking it why it ran away. "I ran away because my owner kept hugging the hell out of me!" Tora hissed.

"I can understand that. If I was a cat and I was being hugged to death, I'd run away, too." I said. "You seem to be the only one that understands me." Tora said, sitting down in front of me. I smiled softly at him and petted his head.

"Hey, why do you wear that cloak? It's not cold out here. What do you have to hide?" Tora asked with suspicion in his voice. I looked off to the side a bit. "I'm sorry, Tora. But if I told you, then you would be afraid of me. I know that for a fact." I said.

"Afraid? Why would I be afraid of you?" He asked. I didn't answer as I avoided eye contact with him. When I turned back to face him, he was grabbed my Naruto. "I got 'em! I got 'em!" Naruto yelled as Tora struggled to get out of his grip.

Tora began scratching him because of how tight he was holding him. "Can you identify a red ribbon on right ear?" Kakashi-sensei asked. "Yeah. We got a perfect copy." Sasuke informed. "Good job, everyone. Lost cat, Tora, found." Kakashi-sensei said.

"Can we do a different mission?! I hate cats!" Naruto screamed into the microphone. I sighed and teleported to Hokage-sama's office. "Hello, Hokage-sama. Iruka-sensei." I greeted. "Hello, Nue. It's nice to see you." Lord Hokage greeted back.

"Hi, Nue." Iruka-sensei said with a smile. "How have you been?" Lord Hokage asked me with a smile.

"Pretty good. I got just got done with my mission for finding Tora." I explained. "Then, where is your team?" Iruka asked. 

"I think they're still in the woods."

"You left them?"

"Yes. Why, was that a bad thing to do? It was, wasn't it? I'm sorry, Hokage-sama. Please forgive me." I bowed my head, apologetically. Lord Hokage chuckled for some reason. I lifted my head to look at him with a raised eyebrow.

"You are Luna's child, for sure. You remind me of Iri." Lord Hokage said, smiling. I grinned at him. "Hokage-sama?"

"Hmm?"

"Have you heard any word from my mother or sister?"

"I'm sorry, Nue, but I haven't." He said. I hung my head in disappointment. "Okay." I said, sadly. I really missed them. They've been sending me messages that they've been getting recent break-ins from  different villages.

They said that they had to erase any trace of me. I understand that they want to protect me.  They care about me. "Cheer up, Nue. Don't look so down." Iruka-sensei said. "How am I supposed to cheer up when I'm missing my family?" I asked.

"Come here, Nue," Lord Hokage said. I did as he said and walked towards him. I stopped in front of his desk before he placed a hand on my head. I looked at him, confused. "Nue, you have nothing to worry about. I'm sure your mother and your sister and doing everything they can to come see you." Lord Hokage assured me.

I gave him a small smile. I really liked Lord Hokage. He felt like a grandfather-figure to me. "Thank you, Hokage-sama." I said with a small bow. I looked at my cloak as my wings twitched under it. "Nue-chan!" Naruto called as he burst through the front door.