Chapter 20: Fireballs, Sad Deaths, and Insanity

Nue's POV

I woke up after a few hours asleep and got out of bed. I walked out of the room, down the hall, and went outside. "It's nighttime. That's strange. I'm supposed to be asleep right now." I said to myself. So, why aren't I still asleep?

I shrugged it off and walked forward, heading towards some trees. I climbed to the top of the tree and sat on a branch. "Nue!" I looked down and saw Kakashi, looking around as he called my name. "Nue, where are you? Answer me!" He called as he looked around.

Should I reveal myself to him? No, bad idea. I'm not even that far from the hideout. If I reveal myself now, he could find the hideout and kill Uncle Zabuza. I decided to stay put and let him wander. After another few minutes for searching, Kakashi gave up and went back to Tazuna's house.

I looked back at the sky and admired the stars. "I miss you, Iri. I wish you were here right now." I whispered. I leaned back against the tree trunk and continued to gaze at the stars. I watched as a leaf gently floated down from the tree.

I held out my hand, letting it land in my palm. The moment it landed in my hand, it burst into a flame. "Whoa!" I quickly pulled my hand back and let the burning leaf flutter to the ground. "What the... huh? How did that happen?" I asked.

I looked at the palm of my hand, then a fireball appeared in it. I gasped, but the flame didn't burn my hand. That's weird. I enclosed my fist, putting the flame out. Okay... that was creepy. Did I do that? I opened my hand and the flame returned.

"Whoa..." I said in amazement. I enclosed my fist again, making the flame disappear again. Okay, forget what I said about this being creepy. This is actually pretty awesome! I practiced this until morning arrived.

"Zabuza, Nue's not in her room. Do you think she went back to Tazuna's?" I looked down when I saw Haku and Zabuza by the entrance of the hideout. "Actually, I'm up here." I called to them. I jumped off the tree and landed beside them.

"What were you doing up there?" Zabuza asked. "Some stuff." I answered with a shrug. "Were you up there all night?" Haku asked. I nodded my head. "Yeah, I couldn't sleep. But I'm okay." I said with a smile.

I decided not to tell them about the whole fireball thing. "Let's go." Zabuza said. I nodded in agreement and we headed off towards the bridge. After a while of running, we finally reached the bridge. "Stay put, Nue." Zabuza ordered me.

I gave a nod as he began to do some hand signs. "Whoa..." I stared in awe when the whole place began to get foggy. "I gotta admit. That's a pretty handy jutsu." I commented. Zabuza responded by ruffling my hair.

"What do you think you're doing over there, kid?" I heard Tazuna shout. I spotted Sakura standing next to him. I don't wanna fight them and I don't wanna fight Zabuza. "Answer me, your brat!" Tazuna shouted. "Nue?" Haku looked at me.

I didn't know what to do, so I looked at the ground. "Nue-chan!" I lifted my head to see Naruto with Sasuke. "Nue-chan, where did you go? Are you all right?" Naruto called. "I'm fine, Naruto." I called back. I turned to Zabuza.

"Is it okay if I go to my team?" I asked. He stared at me for a moment before giving me a nod of approval. I smiled and ran over to Naruto. "Nue-chan, what happened to you? Sasuke told me you ran away." Naruto said.

"I just... needed some time to myself." I said, quietly. "We need to think of a plan to defeat these guys." Sasuke said. "No." I muttered. I held my arms out to my side in a protective way, preventing them from getting past me.

"I won't let you harm them, Sasuke." I said. "What are you talking about? They're the enemy." Sasuke told me. "He's my uncle and I won't let you harm him." I said as I looked him in the eye. "He's your what?!" Naruto said.