Chapter 18

Important READ BOTTOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chapter 18 (last chapter DX)

I jump up and fill the space between her and I. I hug her tightly saying, "I missed you." repeatedly.

Of course she hugs back.

I've always been close to my grandmother. After my grandpa died ten years ago she moved closer to us. I’d see her every week, two or three times some weeks. Now she’s the closest thing to family I have left.

"How, why are you here?" I ask choking through my tears of happiness.

She smiles excitedly showing her as always perfect smile and releases me from her loving embrace.

"I have wonderful news. Plus it's Christmas!" She point to a green and red striped bag, "For you."

I take the bag from her and push away the tissue paper so I can peer inside.  

“It’s a key?” I pick up it up and look at it curiously. Why would she give me a key, and what exactly does it go to?

Giggling like a young child, my grandma rest one of her hands on my shoulder.

“They were caught!”

It takes a minute to sink in, but once I figure it out I gleam up at her.

“They caught them! They can’t come get me anymore! Hear that Alex!” I spin around and face him; however he wasn’t happy like I thought he’d be. “What’s wrong?”

Alex stands up and walks over, “NO! You can’t!” He grabs onto my arm and pulls me closer. “You can’t take him away! Not now!” He says to my grandmother.

What was he talking about taking me away?

My stomach does a nervous flip, not the good kind, and I peek down at the key again. This is to my grandma’s house. She’s taking me away so I can live with her.

“I’m sure dear Helena told you it was only temporally. It’s safe for Colby to come home now.”

“I thought it would at least be a year! I thought I’d be off to college before he left! Alex slowly unwraps his hand from my arm and lets it fall to his side, “I didn’t know I’d like him as much as I did.” He stomps off, to our room, slamming the door.

After a few moments of silence, my grandma speaks up, “Well I must admit, I’m very confused.”

Helena half smiles at her and pulls out a chair at the table, “I guess I have a few things to explain. L-Colby I’ll catch your grandmother up on something’s, you go check on Alex.”

I nod and leave the two to talk. I knock on the door-I don’t know why I do, it is my room also-getting a sigh in reply.

I slowly open the door. Alex is sitting on his bed with his legs pulled up to his stomach and head buried in his arms that are resting on his propped up legs. I walk over and sit down next to him not saying a word. We sit in silence for a while-I not sure how long-eventually Alex speaks.

“I don’t want you to go.”

“I don’t want to either. I’m curious though.” Alex raises his head and look directly into my eyes. “Why’d you let me get so close if you knew any day I could have left?”

Alex lets out a big sigh and cups my face with his hands, “Because from the moment I saw you in the hospital I knew I liked you. I had to let you know no matter what.”

I furrow my eyebrows, “So you mean you had to tell me even if you knew it’d break my heart?” I free my face and stand up. “You didn’t care if I got hurt! It only mattered what you wanted?!”