Chapter 50

Evening Sun

Chapter 50

Jacob

Oh come on, he needs to pick up!  Dammit, Jake!  The phone just keeps ringing--

“Hello?”  

“Jacob!”  I exclaimed, feeling relieved.

“Yeah Bells?  What do you need?”  He asked me, sounding concerned.  

I sat down on a log in the forest.  The smell of right after it rains was strong, and I liked it.  Keeping my shield in tact, I remained alert, in case anyone came near.  

“I need you, Jake...”  I said, having trouble speaking.  Edward’s hurt face when I told him I needed a break, was branded into my mind.  I can’t believe I did that to him...  

I needed my Jacob.

“Where are you?  Bells are you alright?  You sound bad.”  He pressed, really worried.

“I’m outside the border,”  I said softly, looking at my shoes, then to the mossy ground beside them. “Jake, me and Edward...”  

I couldn’t get the words out.  I swallowed, and blinked a few times.  It was like that black hole feeling when Edward left, and when my daughter died.  I said I couldn’t lose another loved one, and then there I go, breaking up with Edward.  

Well, we didn’t break up.  We’re still married, I just have to go and clear things up.  I need to figure things out for myself.

“You and Edward, what?”  He asked.  After a moment, he groaned.  “Bella I’ll be there in a second.  Stay where you are.”  He hung up, and I was left listening to a dial tone.  

Closing my phone, I stared at the ground.  My mind was so blank, I didn’t even fully comprehend Jacob was coming until his warm hand touched my shoulder.  

“Bella?”  

I looked up, and saw Jacob in only shorts.  Quickly I stood up and pulled him into a hug against my cold body.  “Jacob...”  I whispered, full of sadness, against his chest.  

His arms cradled me against him, and he rubbed my back.  “Bella you need to tell me what’s wrong.  I can’t help unless you tell me.”  His voice was really sweet, and calming.

Just like it always is.

I pressed my cheek harder against his bare, warm chest, and tried to build up the strength to say it out loud.

“Me and Edward are... taking a break.”  I whispered.

Jacob pulled away, and held my shoulders in his firm grasp.  He leaned down, and stared me in the eyes.  “Bella, why the hell did you do that.”

“I love you... Jake...”  I whispered, letting my eyes drop from his face, to the nature around us.  

He sighed, and brushed a hand against my cheek.  “I know you do.  And I love you, but I don’t want to ruin your marriage.”

How can he say that now, when he was telling me I’m the right one for him earlier?  I looked at him shocked.  “But you wanted this!  You wanted me to leave him for you.”  I said, angrily.

His face softened.  “You left him, for me?”  He quietly said.

I slowly nodded, looking away.  “Yes, Jacob.”  

Jacob’s beaming smile was so perfect.  I could just imagine how long he’s wanted me to say that to him.  Who knew it would take so long, for this to happen.

“Kiss me...”  He whispered, taking my waist in his warm hands, and pulling me closer a little.  I tilted my head up, and pressed my lips against his.  I felt his lips twist into a smile against mine, making me smile also.  

Jacob is always like this.  He always takes away my pain, and makes me forget about the bad things in life.  I really do love Jacob Black, but something keeps telling me this is so wrong.