Chapter 28

Chapter 28

*JACOB’S POV*

Jacob, I’m sorry, but I’m leaving home. Everything in this life is so difficult, and I really can’t stand it anymore. Don’t look for me. You’ll never find me.

I… I love you.

~Renesmee

I crumpled up the handwritten note and threw it across the room.

“Dammit!” I growled.

I could feel my veins pulsing, and my heart start to race. I ran outside just before I phased. Crap. I really don’t want to run out of pairs of shorts.

I bet I can race you to First Beach, Jake! Leah’s annoying thoughts said.

Not in the mood! I snapped at her.

Nothing came as return.

Where did she go? How can she just leave like this?

I have to tell Bella! But them Edward and his overly-protective self is going to blame it on me, and say I was pushing her or some junk. How can I tell them, without being accused?

Oh, it doesn’t matter. I need to just go and tell them. But it might be a bit helpful to have the note when I get there.

I turned around quickly, scuffing up dirt around me, and bolted back home.

Edward’s face resembled the man being burned at the stake again. The last time I saw that face was when Bella was dying, and pregnant with Nessie.

“Jacob, I should tell you, that Renesmee has joined the Volturi.” Alice blurted out. I didn’t even see that she was there, by the door.

As soon as I heard the words my face squinted in revulsion. The only thing worse than these bloodsucking leeches are the royal bloodsucking leeches.

I started to tremble, and realized I was going to phase; again.

“Emmett, get Jake out before he phases!” Bella called.

Not even a millisecond passed and Emmett was bounding on top of me, taking me outside. I didn’t mind, I knew I wouldn’t do any good in their house being as upset as I am.

How can she join them? Does she even want to?

NO.

It’s not her choice!

Edward! I screamed in my thoughts, standing on their porch.

“I can hear you, Jacob.” His calm voice said in the house.

Nessie would never join them on her own will. This is not her own choice. Don’t you see it, Eddie? Why would she do that, when all you’ve told her really is that the Volturi is the enemy? I tried to persuade Edward to even listen to my idea.

“Jacob please phase, if you can, and come talk to us.” Esme’s sweet, gentle voice called.

Alice swept through the door and placed a pair of shorts on the ground next to me, before flitting inside.

I sniffed the shorts, and winced.

I hate the smell of leech. But I guess I’m getting used to it.

I phased, and slipped on the shorts.

“Thanks for the shorts.” I mumbled, coming inside.

“I have already explained your proposal to the others, and they seem to have some questions.” Edward said.

“Shoot.”

“Why would they want her to join them?” Bella asked me, concern clear on her face.

“Why not?” I told her. “Her gift. And all they ever want is power. As much as the filthy bloodsuckers can get.”