Chapter 5

Chapter 5

            I glanced at the clock.  It’s about noon, and it’s still pitch black outside.  I’m starting to realize why the Denali coven lives here.  I like it here.

            “Edward?”  I said, looking across the room at him.  He looks so bored.

            His face lit up and he smiled, looking at me.  “Yes, Bella?”

            I softly patted the seat next to me.  Edward sat up and glided to my side.

            Rosalie and Emmett checked out a hotel.  Of course.

            Alice was out with Autumn.  Alice almost had a heart attack when Autumn told her that there was no mall in Denali.  So they got an airplane ticket to New York to go shopping.  Edward scoffed.  I don’t think he likes Autumn.

            Carlisle and Esme were in the dining room chatting with Eleazar, Carmen, Garrett, and Kate.

            But Tanya had to make me miserable, and stay in the living room with Edward and me.  Tanya still has a crush on Edward.  I’m wondering if she’ll ever get over him.  I mean, he is married with a child. 

            “Tanya, please excuse Bella and I, we are going to leave.”  Edward said quickly, obviously getting tired of the tension in the room, or maybe Tanya’s thoughts. 

            “Where are you going?”  Tanya asked Edward. 

            I just sat there looking confused as Edward stood up.

            “Away.  We will be back later.”

            Tanya frowned, without another word. 

            Once we were about fifty feet away from the house, I asked Edward, “Where are we going?”

            Edward laughed and picked me up wedding style.  “We haven’t had alone time in a while, right?”

            I laughed too.  “Right.”

            Edward carried me into the forest, past fallen trees and little bushes with poisonous berries that looked so appetizing. 

            I lowered my shield.  Where are we going?   I thought.

            Edward looked surprised for a second that he could read my thoughts briefly.  “You’ll see.”

            Edward slowed his pace, and abruptly stopped, in front of a tiny little lake, that was bubbling.

            “What is that?” I said out loud, placing my shield back into place.

            “A hot spring.”  Said Edward, stripping of his shirt.

            I copied him, and took off my blouse, socks, and shoes, leaving on my jeans and tank top.

            “You’re going to ruin your clothes?  What will Alice say?”  Edward said, grinning.

            I sighed, and we both rid ourselves of all clothing, and slipped into the bubbling hot spring.

            “I wish I could do that.”  Edward said.

            “Do what?”

            “Place thoughts in someone’s head.”

            “Why?”

            “Because if I could read their thoughts, then place my own in their head, there would be no need for words.”

            “That would be awesome.”

            “Yes it would.”

            I thought about that for a second.  “How do you know you can’t do that?”

            Edward’s face squished with confusion.  “What do you mean?”

            “Like, why can’t you try to do that?”

            “I wouldn’t know how.”

            “Yeah and I didn’t know how to push my shield away from myself, but I learned.”

            Edward smiled.  “Lower your shield and tell me if it works.”

            I nodded and pushed my shield away.

            Nothing.

            “Get anything?”  Edward asked after a few long minutes.

            “No.”  I frowned.

            Edward pinched the bridge of his nose.

            Try harder!  I can do this!  Edward’s thoughts yelled in my head.

            I gasped.

            “What?” Edward asked.

            “You did it!”

            Edward’s mouth dropped.  “I did?”

            I nodded furiously.  “You thought, ‘Try harder!  I can do this!’”

            Edward grinned from ear to ear. 

            “Told you you can do everything.”