Chapter 35

While in the car I see Harry checking if I am alright from his rear view mirror. He smiles at me as if to reassure me. I look next to me and Nadine is smiling back at me, too. God her legs go on forever. Can I just die now, please? She points at my dress and gives me a thumbs up. Why does she have to be nice, god damn it. I want to hate her, please make her say something nasty to make me feel better. Liam looks back and smiles. What the fuck is this? A bloody Colgate ad? I feel so fucking nervous around these people and they want to make me feel comfortable, the irony!

"So Ella, how do you like Italy so far?" Liam asks me as Harry is searching for a spot to park.

"Harry showing you around?" he goes on.

"We should take you out tomorrow night, too" Nadine adds coming closer to me.

"Oh, that's alright" I think my voice is trembling "I can't impose on you like that. I did come unannounced after all" I really need to get my shit together before we get out of the car. Harry hasn't talked much during the drive and that worries me a bit. He seems a bit distracted.

"OK beautiful girl from Harry's past. Ready to dance?" has Liam really said that?

"Ready as I'll ever be" I whisper when we are finally out of the car walking towards a door that looks more like a dungeon gate. Liam hooks his arm on my right one and Nadine on the left and they escort me to the Italian nightlife. Harry is following behind us and he seems amused by both his girlfriend and his friend who have taken me under their wing but I need him to save me. He doesn't. He is enjoying my reaction and lets them guide me to the entrance of the club. The music can be heard outside revealing the atmosphere that obviously rules inside. There is a line but Liam and Nadine just wave at the bulky security guy who immediately lifts the velvet rope for us to get in.

"Buonasera Franco" Nadine says seductively at the heavy built man and he blushes like a schoolgirl.

"Ella darling, welcome to the Yab!" Liam says as we walk in, the music pumping loudly now that we have entered the venue. Harry is still following us leaving me drown in my uneasiness.

The music hits my face when the last barrier, a heavy glass door, opens to invite us in. Liam lets go of my arm and so does Nadine as they both start to dance. I look around observing the place which is absolutely incredible. Purple, pink and orange lights reflect on the white surfaces, modern touches everywhere, chandeliers hanging from the walls and beautiful people serving the customers which are thirsty not only for alcohol but also for attention or an escape. Liam drags me with him to the dance floor, doesn't give me a chance to breathe really. Nadine moves her hips to the rhythm and I have no chance but to obey them giving in to the DJ's preferences. I am between the two of them who occasionally call Go Ella, at times Liam spins me around. A few minutes later after I get a lot of compliments from both of them I see Harry looking at me from the opposite bar with a drink in his hand. He smiles at me but I sense that it is forced, plastic. I gesture to Nadine that I need something to drink and she nods. Liam is already downing a shot the waitress is carrying in her tray to treat. I walk towards Harry to the bar and stand in front of him.

"What's wrong?" I ask him and I can tell he is reading my lips, the music too loud for him to hear me from a distance, even though the distance is small.

"Nothing" he says taking a sip of what looks like vodka.

"Are you sure?" I ask again because he is anything but convincing.

"Yeap" he replies. "Want a drink?" he points to the bar and I nod. He doesn't even ask me what I want and leans to talk to the handsome bartender who I can tell has been eyeing me since I approached the bar but I don't pay him any attention. I am still trying to read Harry who has been awfully quiet and not participating since they picked me up from my hotel. The guy pours some Absolut in a clear glass and hands it to me. I move to open my clutch but Harry grabs my hand.