Chapter 24

"Charlie?" I frowned but didn't make a fuss.

"Yes" he replied, the previous playfulness we shared long gone.

"Oh, OK" I wanted to seem cool but I was far from it.

He became serious all of a sudden and started typing an answer. I felt really strange staring at him texting his ex lover so I decided to take our mugs in the kitchen to wash them. I was sure that if I stayed there he'd see right through me and the truth was that I felt as If someone had ripped my heart off my chest .

"I'm meeting her this afternoon after an appointment I have with the agency" he said almost in a whisper.

I didn't say anything. I didn't have a reply to that. I kept washing the mugs and some dishes that I found in the sink.

"Are you angry?" he asked coming closer.

""Should I be?"I answered with a question looking straight at him unable to hold it in anymore.

"I don't want her" he stated.

"Then why see her?" I wondered shrugging.

"I owe her at least that. She ..." he hesitated.

"She what?" I urged him.

"She is getting a divorce" he informed me and I don't know how I managed to put the last dish down on the dryer without breaking it.

"Why? For you?" I asked again.

"Yes"he confirmed and looked down.

"And why would she do that?"

"She wants to be with me but Ella baby I assure you I don't want that. You have nothing to worry about" he touched my shoulder and turned me to face him.

"Don't I?"

"I want you and only you. No share remember?"

 No share remember?"

"Do you remember?"

"Yeah baby" he nodded taking my hands in his.

"Why do you need to see her?" I whined again.

"I don't need to. I kinda have to. She is divorcing her husband . I need to tell her that nothing will ever happen between her and I before she makes an even bigger mistake and I can't do that on the phone, can I?"

"Do you love her?"I blurted out just because I wanted him to assure him that he didn't.

"What? No, of course not. I don't even care for her but I do have the decency to warn her that she doesn't have a future with me".

He placed his arms around my waist and pulled me to him. I looked away.

"Ella baby you know it's you I want right?" he was in agony I could feel it.

"I need to know something" I whispered.

"Anything. Take it off your chest baby. Ask whatever you want".