Chapter 20- Trauma

Mother and I run over to Izak as the hovercraft appears in the sky. 'You're not taking him away yet' screams mother. Gale crawls over to Izaks side. Anyone could kill us now. I run over to grab my bow on the floor just in case. I don't believe he's gone I mutter to myself. I check his pulse just for sure, but he is truly lifeless. That's when the tears start flooding out of my eyes.

Sing to him' says Gale to mother 'just like you sang to Rue' I whisper.

We all grab hands, I grab Izaks cold lifeless hand and listen to my mothers beautiful voice singing.

'Deep in the meadow, under the willow

a bed of grass, a soft green pillow'

I now hear mocking jays repeating the slow tune back to us

'lay down your head, and close your sleepy eyes

and when again they open, the sun will rise.'

Gale and I now join in. We can hardly choke the words out.

'Hear it's safe, here it's warm

hear the daisies guard you from every harm

hear your dreams are sweet and tomorrow brings them true'

Gale sings the last line on his own.

'hear is the place where i love you.'

Gale looks at Izak and gives him one last kiss before letting him to be taken away. It is deeply upsetting. I block my ears to the sound of Gale and mothers cries.

I then press my thumb into my palm and raise my three fingers to the sky. Soon Gale and mother follow suit. All of Panem will be watching this.

It brings back mother many memories of when she sang for Rue. I see she is in a bad state. We cuddle together on the hard forest ground just letting all our emotions pour out of us.

Several minutes later I speak up, 'we must get moving' I manage to choke out, we will be found here'. They nod. We watch as Izak is being taken from our sight. I haven't known him for long but we got really close.

Mother and I help Gale to his feet. He doesn't say a word. There is a look of trauma on face. Of course there would be, his son has just died. He is injured too. He has deep cuts on his face and he is limping in his foot. His arm had also been bend backward in an awkward way. He cries out with pain. 'I think it's best if we find a tree and camp' sniffles mother.

We walk slowly for another hundred metres and find a suitable tree. Gale is slowing us down. We begin to help Gale climb the tree and we soon did out its no use. Gale is too injured. We sit down at the foot of the tree with exhaustion. Mother helps to clean up Gale.

Soon the anthem plays. In the sky I see

The Girl from district 5,

Lumina and Livia- district 7

Colin- district 7

Boy from District 9

And I hide behind my hands when Izaks face appears in the sky. It's too upsetting to watch.

I now begin to feel the hunger. We lost the backpack with our food in the fight. Bennett will have a nice meal tonight. 'We better get some sleep' mumbles mother 'i'll take first watch'. 'No' I reply 'I will, I insist'. She nods, 'wake me up in a few hours' she says. Within seconds I hear light snores coming from Gale and mother.

I settle down into my sleeping bag, keeping my eyes peeled for tributes, twelve now remain. Hopefully we won't be here for to much longer. I now have hope for mother and I too get out of here. I smile of thinking of seeing father and Rye again. I look over to mother. 'I will protect you' I whisper. I hope all of Panem will see this. My anger towards the capital grows day by day. Killing innocent children for their entertainment, it's sick. Then I think back to Izak. Poor, poor Gale. He is traumatised.

Comment and vote

If anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer them!

LauraXo