Chapter 1- 4th Quarter Quell

I lay in my bed listening to the busy coal miners heading to work in the undergrounds of district 12. I hear mocking jays singing *pause* my thoughts were interrupted, something big is happening today I just can't remember... oh yes it's my birthday, I am 12 years old today. A lump forms in my throat and I then swallow, in six months' time it will be my first ever reaping. This isn't any ordinary hunger games it is the 4th quarter quell, the 100th anniversary. Today at exactly 11AM they will announce live on televisions all over Panem this year's terrible twist.

On the 25th anniversary every district was made to hold an election to vote on the tribute who would represent them. On the 50th anniversary each district was required to send twice as many tributes. On the 75th anniversary the tributes would be reaped from their existing pool of victors. Mother and Father both took part in the 74th annual hunger games and were crowned victors and were then reaped into the 75th annual hunger and won along with their fellow victors Finnick, Enobaria, Beetee and Johanna by breaking out of the arena.

I have heard many stories from my parents about life in the arena and how the saved each other's lives by sacrificing their own. I heard about katniss' stunt with the berry's and how Peeta threw Katniss the bread when the everdeen family were on the brink of starvation. It took them years for them to even tell me about those dark days and why mother gets nightmares all the time. They soon realised they would have to tell Rye and I sometime, they had to tell us why the capital hates our family. We would sometimes receive letters from President Ivy Snow reminding mother and father what they have done and sometime she will get revenge for killing her grandfather President Cornelius Snow. She is still trying to punish mother and father after all those years, its just not fair. I just have a bad feeling about this years quarter quell. If she wants revenge on the mellark family she will get it.

Comment and vote

Thanks

LauraXo