Chapter 13- Together again

'Gale, we'll never find her, she will be in a tree, I know it, she's probably so scared' says Katniss. I wake up, oh it was I dream I think to myself. 'Gale, I heard something' says Katniss.

'Mother' I say. 'Williow' she screams 'where are you'. 'I'm in the tree' I reply. I look down and see mother, Gale and Izak at the foot of the tree. This certainly wasn't a dream. I suddenly see a boy running in their direction with a knife in his hand. 'Watch out' I scream. With out hesitation I throw my spear at his head killing him instantly. They turn around and look at him in shock.

I pack up my backpack and climb down the tree. I run into mothers arms. 'Careful' says Gale 'your mother has been bitten'. 'What... Where, by what?' I ask. Mother pulls up the leg of her trousers to show me a red lump the size of an apple. I gasp 'What was it?'. 'Its a grass mutt' says Izak. 'I learned all about them on the animal station'. 'What do they do?' I say almost crying. Izak says 'On day 1 a lump is formed to the size of a berry, day 2 the lump increases in size to the size of an apple, on day 3 the victim starts experiencing nausea and dizziness, on day 4... The victim starts rejecting the people they love, day 5... Death'. I am in a state of shock. 'We must do something, what can we do?'. 'All we can do is hope for sponsors to send a very generous gift, a gift which contains a special cream' says Gale.

'Well lets get some sponsors' I say. 'First we must eat' says mother. We need to see what supplies we have and what we need'. I show them my bag of food. 'Woo' says Gale we haven't eaten anything since yesterday. We all have a bit of dried fruit to sooth our hungry stomachs. Mother managed to grab a sickle and a small bag containing a thick sleeping bag, a full water container and a slingshot. I gulp some water down to quench my thirst. 'Not too fast' she says. Gale got a sword and a thick jacket. Izak managed to grab a large knife and a backpack containing a large full water bottle, a torch, night vision googles and a rope. We shift around some things. Mother and Gale swap the sickle for the sword because Gale has some experience with a sickle from living in the gold mining district. Izak gives mother his torch. In give Izak my thin sleeping bag. Gale gives me some water in my water container. We ration out the food between us. I give Gale a backpack since I have two. 'Have ye seen any signs of a bow and arrow?' I ask. 'No' says mother 'and we know who decided that'. 'Ivy Snow' I reply. She nods. 'We need to go hunting now' suggests Gale 'we'll just have to use what weapons we have'. We are soon ready and we head off into the woods in search of some meat.

Several hours later we are still walking around, no sign of any other tributes and no sign of any animals. I collapse onto the ground, 'it's no use' I say 'there is no animals'. Suddenly we here voices not far off, 'the careers' whispers mother. We run as fast as we can. We are in no state to take them on, eight versus four we are guaranteed death.

When we feel we have made enough distance between us we climb a tree to settle down for the night. Gale and Izak are much slower at climbing so mother and I help them up. We all sit for a few few minutes to catch our breath. 'That was close' says Izak. 'Yeah, we now know they are camping near here' says Gale. 'Mother, are you ok?' I ask. 'Yes' she replies 'just a bit tired'. I take a look at the lump on her leg. It is very red and swollen. 'We must track them down' I say. 'What?' They answer in unison. 'We must track down the careers, it's the only way to get sponsors, the people of the capital want some action, look at her she's getting worse' I say.

*pause*

'Your right' says Gale 'we will set off early in the morning'. 'No!' Says mother. 'Theres no other way' Gale replies.

We all eat a few strips of beef as our dinner. We get into our sleeping bags. I share a sleeping bag with mother and Gale shares with Izak. We have a big day ahead so we settle down for a good nights sleep.

No such luck.

Comment and vote

Thanks

LauraXo