Chapter 2- The twist

I look at my clock, crap its 10AM, one hour till they announce this year's twist for the quarter quell. I rush downstairs to find my mother, my father and my little brother Rye sitting at the kitchen table 'Happy Birthday' they shout. 'Here, have a cookie' says Rye 'Father and I made them especially'. 'Thanks' I mumble. As I bite into the cookie a sweet lemon taste engulfs my mouth with freshness, 'Mmm...'

Father loves to Bake and paint also. Rye is so like him in many ways. Rye is only 10 years old and is a terrific baker and artist. Rye and father could spend hours in in the paint room or in the kitchen. I'm not one bit like them; I have inherited my mother's qualities. We go hunting every Sunday without fail and during the week if we have time. I can hit a squirrel right in the eye just like mother, although I'm still not as good a shot as the famous Katniss Everdeen. Mother would also teach me all about edible plants. She says these helped her a lot in the arena.

Mother told me many stories of the days she went hunting with her best friend Gale. Gale now lives in district 2 working in 'some fancy job' as mother says. She hasn't talked to him in 25 years. She misses him a lot.

'Willow, what do you think this year's twist could be?' asks Rye. I just shrug. Mother sighs and says in a posh capital accent 'I don't think the odds will be in our favour' but I can see the worried look in mothers eyes.

It's exactly 10:55AM and we all huddle on the sofa, only five minutes to go. The anthem plays and my stomach churns as president Ivy Snow takes the stage. Following her is a young girl dressed in a cerise pink dress. My brother rolls his eyes 'capital children' he murmurs. She holds the envelope which contains in writing what this year's quarter quell will entail. She passes the envelope to President Ivy Snow. 'Now... it's time to announce this year's twist for the 4th quarter quell' she says in her posh capital accent.

I can feel the tension in the room as the President slides her fingers under the lip of the envelope and pulls out the slip. Without hesitation she reads 'As a reminder to all living beings in Panem that the hunger games shall strive for another one hundred successful years each district shall provide a father and son and a mother and daughter

*Pause*

The capital are feeling generous this year, as there are double the amount of tributes there will be double the amount of victors, but...' My palms are sweating; I can hardly register what she just said. She continues 'the victors must be a father/son or a mother/daughter victory. Mother screams, I start to feel dizzy and black out.

What do you think of the twist?

Comment and Vote

Thanks

LauraXo