Chapter 21

The cold ocean hit my toes, and I squealed as the water almost reached my clothes. Justin chuckled at my reaction, his arm tightening around my waist. I leant my head on his shoulder, staring out into the sparkling ocean.

I don’t know how all of this happened in the last month. But my life felt strangely right, like all those painful breakups were all worth it, for this moment. When my ex boyfriends had done stuff like this, it felt the same every time. Just a guys arm around me, which gave me the illusion that I was in love. But I really wasn’t, not even close.

Justin’s lips made their way to my cheek, kissing it quickly, my stomach doing flips in the process. I looked up at him, giving him a smile.

“What do you want to do, baby?” He asked.
“I want to go home.” I told him.
“Why, is there something wrong?”
“It’s just, I’m happy with you now and now I need to fix things up with my family. Nothing is ever perfect in my life, and for once I want to make it that. So I can actually be happy.”

He stood up, holding out his hand for me to grab onto. I took it, and he pulled me up, pulling me into his arms.

“Okay shawty, let’s get you home then.”

***

I was nervous, I had to admit. I knocked on my front door, waiting for an answer. Once again, I was hoping only my mother was home. The door swung open, revealing my father. I frowned, walking past him and dumping my bag on the floor beside the lounge.

“Where have you been!?” My dad yelled.
“Mum didn’t tell you?”
“She’s not talking to me.” He admitted, running a hand through his hair. “Do you know why?”
I nodded, “I could take a guess. Is she home?”
“She’s reading in the dining room.”
“Okay, I need to talk to you both.”

Dad followed me into the next room, stopping in front of the long glass dining table. On the table was a large vase, filled with a fresh bunch of flowers. At the head of the table sat my mum, too focused on the book to notice my presence. I coughed, making her look up, a frown forming on her face at the sight of me.

Jee, love you too.

“Can we talk?” A hopeful smile played at the end of the lips.

She let out an over reacting sigh and gave a look as if to tell us to sit. I glanced up at dad who just shrugged his shoulders and sat down. I sat, placing my hands together on the table in front of me.

“Dad,” I started. “The other day I came home and told mum something important. I’m Pregnant.”
He choked on air, his eyes widened. “You’re what?!”
“Pregnant. I was drunk and it happened with my guy friend at a party.”

He nodded, trying to be as understanding as possible, but I could tell he wanted to break down in tears. I gave him a ‘sorry’ look at turned to face mum.

“Mum, today I was with Justin and he asked me out. I said yes and I’m doing this for my baby. Will you please let me keep it? I know I’m too young but I really think I’m ready and Justin would make a great father.”

She just stared, her lips pursed.

“You want to make her get an abortion?” Dad asked, directing the question at mum.
“She’s seventeen and the baby’s an accident! You can’t be seriously thinking about it, can you?!”
“I think she’s capable honey, you need to learn to trust her.”

Trust. Something my mother and I seem to be lacking.

“Please?”

She let out a sigh, throwing her hands up in the air, admitting defeat.

“Fine. But I’m not here to help you. You’re on your own.”

I nodded, “Thank you so much.”

*Justin*

My phone went off across the room and I practically dived for it, recognizing the ring tone. I answered it with a happy sounding, ‘hello,’ hoping for good news.

“Hey.” She said, and I could tell she was smiling.
“How did it go?”
“I can keep our baby. But, mum won’t help me with it.”
“Don’t worry, I will. This is amazing news, Sasha.” 

I was pretty much jumping around with glee. I wasn’t lying; I would help her, every step of the way. This was OUR child, and this was OUR journey.

***

*Sasha*

I sat nervously, my hands glued together in front of me. I watched as the teacher wrote down notes about our upcoming English assignment. I looked out the window, birds chirping and flying in the wind. I watched as the collected twigs in their beaks, preparing for the nests.

“Now, write a four hundred word essay on the chosen topic I wrote on the board.”

I shot my head up, finally paying attention. I narrowed my eyes, before sighing when reading the topic. Oh joy, nature. I picked up my black pen and started to write.

“Psst.”

I looked up, spotting Justin giving me a lopsided grin. I mouthed the words ‘what,’ in to which he mouthed, ‘date?’ I chuckled; nodding, making his smile grow and my cheeks turn a bright pink.

My first official date with Justin and I couldn’t wait.