Chapter 35

Sorry it's taken me forever to update but i'm back again, I had a very busy christmas and got a new laptop so I had to install everything and yeah, I'm not going to bore you to death.

I hope you enjoy this chapter, it's longer than usual to make up for it :)

Sasha

Friends come and go in your life. You discover who your true friends are when you fall down. Some friends will stand by you and help you get back up and some will walk away laughing, that’s how you tell. But family is different, family will stick by your side no matter what, they’re blood.

I remember when my friend Abby betrayed me in grade six. We were at the school carnival together and I saw my crush. I had liked Leon for a few months and he had called me a few days earlier saying that he wanted to ‘chill.’ Abby told me that it meant he liked me and he wanted to make a move and I believed her, she never lied to me and she knew more about boy’s than me. She was pretty and all the boys seemed to be head over heels for her, but when she was with boys she left me to the side. I never complained though, she told me that I would understand when I got a boyfriend.

We found Leon and his friends by the dunk tank; they were all laughing and dunking kids by hitting a small target with a ball. They never seemed to miss it either; they had good aims and looked like that had been practicing. My eyes lit up as Leon noticed me and waved Abby and I over.

I had started wearing makeup since he called me, I felt like I needed to look pretty around him. Abby had told me that I had to or he wouldn’t like me and I obliged since she was the boy know it all.

“Hey Sasha, glad you made it.”

Leon embraced me in a quick hug and when he pulled away he kept an arm slung over me, his hand resting on my shoulder.

“Do you want a try?” Leon asked.

I nodded, “I’ve never done this before.”

He helped me by having his hand around my small fragile one to help me throw the ball. I got it on the first go with his help and dunked a high school kid. I was proud but I was even prouder that I was hanging out with the coolest boy in school.

Abby pulled me to the side and told me to line up to be dunked. I shook my head and told her no, I didn’t want to be wet and have my makeup ruined. She told me Leon would be impressed and would ask me out if I was brave enough to do it. I believed her like always and lined up for my turn.

While I was sitting on the plank, my feet dangling over the tank, I watched Abby kiss Leon’s cheek. My heart was broken, I felt numb as I watched them flirt. Someone threw the ball and hit the target and I fell for the water. It felt like everything was in slow motion as I watched Leon and Abby walk away, hand in hand.

I never talked to either of them ever again; I couldn’t trust them not to hurt me again. I never thought that would happen again but it did, countless times until I met Justin.

That’s what made me confused about Daniel. Friends can do that to you but I never thought Daniel would. I have known him my while life, he was related by blood.

Daniel was protective of me but he never left or changed his mind. He clung to my side like a bodyguard, even if I swore I didn’t need him. It was like it was his job to keep me safe, it annoyed me but I liked it in many ways.

But right now, I hated it more than ever. He wasn’t protecting me, he was hurting me. Not physically but mentally, he was pushing me from his life. He had avoided me since I told him and Lara couldn’t change his mind for me. I had to confront him, which made me more nervous than ever.

“Maybe I could talk to him for you.” Justin suggested.

I shook my head, “He hates you more than he hates me.”