Chapter 9

I tapped my pen on the desk, making barely any noise compared to the loud class. They were all gossiping about their plans tonight, since it was Friday. I rolled my eyes and looked out the window. The weather was perfect, not a cloud in the sky, the type of weather that makes everyone cheerful. I looked blankly at my English story. It was almost finished I just couldn’t end it now; I haven’t got an ending for it.

Justin kept shooting me looks from the other side of the class, causing me to chuckle under my breath. Believe it or not, I was actually looking forward for this afternoon with Justin. I still had no clue what we were doing though.

Suddenly the bell rung, signalling that school was over for the day. I picked up my books, holding them across my chest, making my way out of the classroom. I stopped by my locker and put my books in; making sure it was all neat and perfect. I shut the door, revealing Justin, leaning up against the other lockers.

I smirked, “If I wasn’t used to you being a stalker I would have been scared.”
“I see you’ve caught on to my ways...” he chuckled, adding a wink.

I rolled my eyes and followed Justin outside and to his black range rover, the one we spent lunch in yesterday. I slid into the passenger seat and thanked Justin who had opened the door for me. He was a gentleman; he ALWAYS opened doors for me. I watched him walk swiftly to his side and slip into his seat. 

He looked good today; he was wearing black skinny jeans, a plain white shirt and a black leather jacket. He also had his favourite black supras on as well; well, I assumed they were his favourite because he wore them often. Justin caught me eyeing him and smirked, causing me to blush and look away.

“You were totally checking me out.”
“Shut up Bieber, you don’t know anything.”

***

“We’re here.” Justin informed me, getting out and making his way to my door.

He opened it and I stepped out, observing the view in front of me. It was beautiful, breath taking even. How had I not known about this place before? Justin pulled a guitar from the back and took my hand leading me onto the grass. I didn’t know he played guitar?

We were on a quiet grass hill, with a view of the city. I could just imagine how amazing this view would be at night with all the city lights. He stopped in a nice spot and unfolded a blanket I had no idea he was holding. He spread it neatly onto the ground and sat down, patting the spot beside him. I smiled and fell down beside him, my eyes still on the view.

“Do you like it?”
I nodded, “It’s beautiful. Thank you for taking me here.”

“You’re welcome shawty.”

Shawty. Wow, how did that word give me butterflies? The way he said that with his Canadian accent...wow.

Sasha, remember your rule.

I bit my lip and hid my face so he couldn’t notice my deep blush. Why was he making me blush? I couldn’t let myself like him; he would only break my heart like everyone else.

“Why did you bring me here, Justin?”
He looked out at the view for a moment before turning to look at me, “I wrote you a song.”

He wrote me a song? Nobody had ever written me a song before. I already knew it was going to be good, I remembered his voice from the other day. He was amazing at singing; I’ve never heard a voice so angelic, so perfect...

“Really? You wrote me a song?”
He nodded, “About what you told me yesterday...is it okay if I sing it to you?”

I gulped and thought about what he had just said. He wrote a song about all my breakups? About my broken heart? Did I want to hear it?

I nodded, “Um, okay.”
He smiled, “I called it, ‘how to love.’”

“See you had a lot of crooks tryna steal your heart, never really had luck, couldn’t ever figure out how to love, how to love. You had a lot of moments that didn’t last forever, now you in the corner tryna put it together. How to love, how to love.”

I sat there, trying to hold back tears as I listened carefully to the words he sung. I watched his face; he looked passionate as he sung to me, focused on the strumming of his guitar. I was memorised by both the song and his singing.

“When you was just a young’un you’re looks but so precious, but now you’re grown up, so fly it’s like a blessing. But you can’t have a man look at you for five seconds without you being insecure. You never credit yourself so when you got older it’s seems like you came back ten times ten times over. Now you’re sitting here in this damn corner, looking through all your thoughts and looking over your shoulder.”

He finished with one last strum, singing the words, ‘how to love,’ softly, almost to himself. My eye watered, a few tears slipping down my face. I didn’t know whether that song made me happy or sad though.

“Justin.” I breathed.
He looked at me with a hopeful smile, “Did you like it?”

I nodded, reaching over and wrapping my arms around him. I don’t think he expected that from me as it took him a while to put his hands back around me. The song lyrics seemed to match me so much. Like he knew more about it than I did myself, he understood me...

I pulled back, my face close to his. Giving me a good look at his eyes. They were gorgeous, the most amazing eyes I had ever seen. I found myself beginning to get lost in them, barely noticing his face inch closer to mine. I moved away quickly the moment I felt his lips brush against mine.

“Sorry, I uh,” I panicked.
“It’s okay, I’m sorry, I knew that was wrong.”
“Its fine Justin, I probably confused you then...I’m just not ready.”

He smiled, leaning back, his hands supporting his weight behind him. I did the same, looking down at the view, still amazed.

Our almost kiss didn’t even make the moment awkward. It was weird like that, I knew he had liked me but I had never liked him. So how was this growing friendship working if I hated him? Somehow the party incident made me see a different side to him, the Justin I never knew he was. Not that I had ever really known him or anything.

I could sit here for hours, next to Justin, thinking about everything and anything. Maybe he was worth getting to know as a friend...it’s not like it really broke my rule... I wasn’t going to date him or anything...

“We should probably get going before it gets dark.” Justin said, sitting up.
I sighed, “Yeah, I don’t need my parents worrying about me.”

I got up and helped Justin fold the blanket up and walked with him back up the hill to the range rover alone in the empty car park. Before getting into the car I turned to Justin smiling.

“Thanks for taking me here, I actually really enjoyed it. Also, I loved the song. I felt like someone understood me for the first time today, for real.”
He smiled, his eyes making me melt. “Good to hear, Sasha. Thanks.”

I slipped into my seat and buckled my seatbelt, waiting for Justin to hop in, joining me. I heard him put his guitar and the blanket carefully in the boot before joining me up the front. His car came to life and we were off, driving towards my home.