25. A Perfect Combination

(A/N - So happy Monday!!!  Here is chapter 25!!  Two more chapters and an epilogue remaining.  I am steadily working on 'My Mentor' and will post another chapter on Wednesday.  I hope you all enjoy!!!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It is now Saturday.  Emma Grace is five days old.  She has been making a little bit of progress.  Her lungs are getting stronger and she has gained a couple of ounces.  I am being released tomorrow and I know it will be extremely difficult to leave without Emma, but she needs to stay in the NICU. 

I am still obviously sore from the c-section, but am feeling better each day.  I decided that I would return to school with Harry a week from Monday.  I would obviously have to be mindful of my incision, but I needed to return to some form of normalcy.  Also by then, I figure that my face will have healed and all that will remain as a reminder of the attack is the newly formed scar next to my left eye.  

Harry and the boys have all told me that people ask where I have been.  The story has remained the same since I left school; I was sick and would need an operation.  When I return to school next Monday, I would obviously appear to have had an operation; which wasn’t a lie.    I know people will find out sooner rather than later and Harry and I will eventually tell people, but right now the most important people in our lives know and that is all that matters.

Harry and I just returned from our visit with Emma Grace; our only contact with her still is with our hands through the incubation unit.  We long for the day when we can properly hold her.  We were told earlier that it will likely come to fruition in another week.  That made us very happy.

We were eating our lunch when there was a knock on the door.

“Hi my babies.” Harry’s mum said as she entered the room.

“Hi mum!” Harry responded and made his way to her side for a hug.  I said hello and smiled.  Before Harry reached his mother, another woman came in behind Anne.  She looked very nervous and very upset.

“Aunt Susan?” Harry said with a surprised expression.  Harry turned to look at me and I knew right away who that woman was.  He made his way back over to the bed and sat next to me and pulled my hand into his.

The woman, Susan, smiled slightly at Harry and then cast her gaze upon me.

“Hello, Niall.  I am Anne’s sister Susan.”  She made her way over to the bed and stuck her hand out for me to shake.

“Hello Aunt Susan. It’s a pleasure to meet you” I said with a smile and shook her hand, she seemed shocked by my welcome, but was even more shocked when I pulled her in for a hug.  I had absolutely no reason to not like her.  She didn’t do anything to me; her son did.  I know what Anne and Harry have told me about her; she certainly doesn’t approve of Josh’s feelings towards gay people. 

She pulled away from the hug slightly to take in my facial appearance; the bruising and some swelling still evident.  She then began to cry.  I pulled her back in for a hug.