19. Little Kicks & Coming Clean

(A/N - I really like this chapter.  I think it may be one of my favs!  I hope you all enjoy this second and final update of the day!!!  Thank you all for reading!!  Much Love!  xx )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A week has passed since Valentine’s day.  A week since Harry and I confessed that we are in love.  It has been a week full of ‘I Love Yous’ openly at home and secretly at school.  It is Friday and Harry and I are especially excited because tomorrow I will be 21 weeks along and we have another ultrasound.  However, we are slightly nervous that my stomach hasn’t grown any more.  I mean I guess it is a good thing because I am still able to hide it the same way as I have always been, but on the other hand does that mean that she isn’t growing either?  We are all sat at the lunch table and Louis starts talking about football.  Shit.

“Coach sent out the information about spring football.  Did you get?” He asks and looks at me.

“Yeah.  I got it.”

“It’s gonna be a good season.  Everyone is returning.  We are going to dominate, isn’t that right captain!” Louis says and the ruffles my hair.  I glance at Harry and I know he is feeling bad for me right now.  I begin to tell Louis what I am sure he doesn’t want to hear and will fight me on.

“I….um….I already told coach yesterday that…I um….won’t be playing this season.” I finish and drop my head and wait for a reply.

“What!  Why would you do that?  This is the last season of your high school football career.  Why the hell would you not want to play?”

I feel one of Harry’s fingers gently and secretively graze the side of my thigh.  “I just….I just want to concentrate on my studies more this last term.  It’s not really a big deal.”

“Not a big deal!!  Not a big deal!  Niall, you are the best player on the team.  You are the captain.  We need you.”

“Louis, you are the best player.  You know that.  And I told coach that I nominate you as my successor.  So, Lou, you are now the captain.”

“I just don’t understand why you would quit.” Louis huffed.  “I don’t care about being captain.  You shouldn’t abandon your team mates.”

“Louis, if Niall doesn’t want to play then he doesn’t have to play.  Don’t make him feel guilty for his decision.”  Harry chimed in, trying to help.

“But Louis is right, Ni.” Liam said.  “Why would you want to stop playing your last season?”

“Like I said, I just want to focus on my studies.   Please respect my decision.  Louis you were born to be captain.  You can lead the team.  You will be the perfect captain; even better than me and that’s saying a lot because I’m awesome!’ I said trying to joke and brighten the mood.

Everyone smiles and I look to Louis who is looking at me with a half smile.  I know he doesn’t agree with me and I am not telling him the truth yet.  He will understand why when I tell the boys about the pregnancy.  I’m just not sure when I want to.

“I’m sorry you had to deal with that today, babe.  I know you love football and I know you don’t want to give it up.  I’m really sorry.” Harry says as we are lying in bed that night.

“It’s ok.  Honestly, yes I’ll miss being on the team, especially with it being the last season before I graduate, but I couldn’t be happier.  She is the reason I can’t play and because of that, I am not sad.” I reply and rub my belly.  Harry places a gentle kiss on my forehead.

“We get to see her again tomorr-”  I cut him off by gripping onto his hand tight.  My eyes go wide and I stare into his.

“What’s wrong, Ni?” Harry exclaims. Looking back and forth between my shocked face and my belly.