06. Horan, Niall - DNA Testing

(A/N - Second update for the day...chapter 6.  Hope you all enjoy!  xx)

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have spent most of Saturday and Sunday in bed.  My parents coming in my room to frequently check on me; more than my liking but I understand that they are very worried parents.

The boys came over on Saturday and we all just hung out in my room and watch movies for a few hours.  It was nice to feel a bit of normalcy in the very abnormal situation that I am in.  I tried to keep up a joyful appearance as much as I could but I know they noticed my distance.  They didn’t push the issue though.  I’m assuming that they chalked it up to my still being under the weather.  I was informed that we did win the game, so that was some good news.

I had an awkward conversation with Greg about this whole ordeal.  He was a bit surprised by my being gay but still supportive.  Saying that no guy will ever be good enough for his little brother.  He also said that whatever the decision is regarding the baby, he would support me one hundred percent and would be there every step of the way.  I do love my family, but I still don’t know what I am going to do.

My dad has been in his medical books and doing research all weekend.  He has been talking to various top notch reproductive physicians all over the world trying to gain as much information regarding this situation as possible.  It was at Sunday dinner that we began to discuss his findings.

“So” my dad began, pulling all of our attentions from our food to what he was about to say.  “I have spoken with a physician in Indonesia and he knows of a case just like Niall’s.  It was in the sixties when he first became a physician.  There was a man that has the same female parts.  Although he had two ovaries and his uterus grew attached to his colon and it had a small hole between the two.  The man was impregnated by another male.  He was only able to carry the baby until about the 28th week which is basically about two and a half months pre-mature.  They delivered the baby via c-section and the man survived.  The baby didn’t.”  My face dropped when my father said that and I think he took notice because of his next statement.

“That was in the sixties, Niall.  Medical advances have exponentially increased since then and babies born between 27 and 30 weeks have a good chance for survival.” I nodded and took a drink of my water.

“So are you saying that if I were to continue the pregnancy, the baby would be born between 27 and 30 weeks?”  I ask.

“Yes.  Because of the way your anatomy is, the growing fetus will eventually start pushing your other organs around and a male body is not made for that type of intrusion.  It will not medically be safe for you to have a pregnancy past 30 weeks.”

“What about if the baby is completely from me?  You said the other case was from two males, so he was able to carry it.  But in the hospital you mentioned complications because of genetic makeup.”

“Yes, in my research I have found that if the fetus is of you and the other boy, then it would be ok to carry the pregnancy.  But if the genes are solely from you, the fetus would likely have genetic anomalies and wouldn’t make it past a few more weeks.  That dead fetus, if not removed, could cause issues that could harm you.” I nod in acknowledgement.