*Chapter Twenty-Five*

The next few things happened in less than a second. Ace was the first one to react. He was next to Rayden in a flash, and a gleaming white sword was pointed to Rayden's chest. Ashling stood protectively in front of Melody. Zach didn't move although his yellow eyes were now open; he seemed deep in conversation with a terrified and confused looking Aria. Rhiawas the only one who was still in her seat although she looked pretty on the egde.

“Wait,” I stood up as well. All pair of eyes snapped to me. I swallowed my nervousness. “Ray's on our side. I can prove this.”

“What makes you so sure?” Ashling asked a bit harshly which earned her a look from both Zach and Rayden.

“He saved my life multiple times. If he wanted to harm me or kill me, he's had more chances than I could count. More importantly, Mother trusted him. I don't know about you guys,” I walked calmly over to Rayden and placed myself between him and Ace so that the tip of the sword pointed at my neck instead, “but I trust him.”

“What are you doing?! Move!” Ace yelled outraged.

“No, Ace. I trust - ”

“Enough, Ace, lower your weapon.”

“Melody,” Ashling warned.

“I know what I'm doing,” Melody said calmly. “I've told you before, Ash. I don't doubt Rayden.”

“T-Then - ?” Ace stuttered, completely lost.

“I just want to know what kind of ally we've got ourselves.”

Ace lowered his weapon by a fraction. I gave him a look before the sword suddenly vanished into thin air. I relaxed but still didn't move from my position.

“Amy, no one would hurt Ray without my permission,” Melody assured me. “Rayden, would you explain yourself?”

“I'm an Arcane.”

There was a few sharp intake of breath and a startled gasp from Aria. Zach stood up from his position and his tail swished to the side once before he silently sat down.

“Don't lie - ” Melody placed a calm hand on Ashling's shoulder to stop her from marching up to Ray.

“No, Ash. He's saying the truth.”

“But - ”

“Yes, Arcanes are rare, and the last sighting of an Arcane is two decades ago. I can assure you that there are many Arcanes living with us right now. They just choose to conceal themselves as normal runars to avoid any danger,” Melody clarified.

Why? Are they in danger?

“Yes,” it was Ray who answered, “Arcanes are way stronger than normal runar. Of course, our blood also heals a lot more than normal runars. We all know that runar blood heals any wound a lot faster. Arcanes' blood heals almost instantaneously.”

“So, it's blood after all,” Aria concluded.

“Not only blood,” Rayden answered. “Many high level dark spells require an Arcane as a sacrifice.”

The room elapsed into silence. The kind of silence where everyone is deep in thought about something. There was a flutter of movement in the corner of my eyes. Two snow white doves landed on the window still. With a sudden flap of wings, they took off into the wide, cloudless sky. I suddenly envied the birds who roamed the sky in freedom, unaware of the danger that was inching closer every hour, minute, second. They were in a blissful ignorance; something I longed for ever since I knew of my fate. Why can't I just be normal?