chapter 21

It was nearly time for bed as Darla was on the phone and telling her parents all about the wonderful time she had at camp and was hoping to come again maybe next year.

'We'll see what we can do.' Emily said.

'So glad that you enjoyed it so much though.' Patrick added in.

"Yeah, it was a really great experience," Darla smiled as she looked back to Amber. "I've found my old friends and made some new ones along the way."

'That's great.' Patrick smiled.

Amber hugged Darla from behind. "Come on, let's go zip lining before bed."

"I gotta go," Darla told her parents. "Amber and I are gonna go zip lining."

'ZIP LINING?!' Patrick and Emily asked in surprise.

"Yep." Darla smiled.

"It's fun~" Amber smirked.

'Okay, just be careful, you two.' Emily said.

"We will." Darla and Amber both promised.

After that, Darla hung up and the two of them ran off to go zip lining.

"She's grown up so fast..." Emily sighed happily.

"Her parents would be proud." Patrick agreed.

Emily nodded with a few tears slipping out.

"Oh, dear, please don't cry." Patrick cooed to his wife.

"I'm sorry..." Emily sniffled.

Patrick hugged Emily gently. "What's wrong, dear?"

"It's just that it's still so sad of how her parents died." Emily frowned.

"Oh... I know..." Patrick said softly. "It's okay, Emily..."

"I just wish we could've done something..." Emily wiped her eyes. "I know Darla loves us like her very own parents, but I know that we really aren't."

"There's nothing we can do except raise her like she's our own like we've been doing." Patrick said.

"I suppose so..." Emily said.

"No tears now..." Patrick comforted. "No one wants to see you sad."

"Okay." Emily said.

"How about some hot chocolate?" Patrick offered.

"Okay..." Emily sighed.

Patrick then went to the kitchen to do it for her while she was in an emotional state.

Meanwhile back at camp...

"I gotta tell you, Amber, zip lining is something I never thought I'd see myself doing." Darla said to her best friend.

"It sure is a shock," Amber had to agree. "I'm glad you decided to come to summer camp though, my dad always said that camping builds character."

"It sure seems like it." Darla smiled.

Amber nodded.

"Okay, here I go." Darla was ready to 'fly' now.

After a few seconds, Darla and Amber jumped off and both zip lined. The girls cheered and laughed as they zip lined together.

"I'm so happy for her." Atticus smiled.

"So am I." Mo had to agree.

"Why don't you two go somewhere alone?" Patch asked.